Ireton, Iowa — A house on an acreage near Craig received major damage in a fire on Thursday, February 7, 2019.
According to Ireton Fire Chief Richard Steckelberg, about 3:45 a.m., the Ireton Fire Department was called to the report of a fireplace fire at 2490 510th Street, four miles south and a mile east of Ireton, or a mile north and a mile east of Craig.
The chief says the fire department saw flames coming through the roof as they approached the scene. He says they began with an exterior attack and finished with an interior attack.
Steckelberg says the house is not habitable at this point, but no injuries were reported.
The fire department was assisted by the Hawarden and Sioux Center fire departments.
He says the origin of the fire appeared to have been a wood stove.
Chief Steckelberg reports that there was major damage to the house.
He says they used about 3,600 gallons of water to fight the fire, and crews were on scene for about three hours.
Photo credit: Thad Finzen