Sheldon, Iowa — The Sheldon Fire Company was called to the report of a fire in the crawlspace of a residence at 1610 East 8th Street shortly before noon Tuesday (May 7th).
On arrival, firefighters found smoke on the main floor and in the basement. Assistant Fire Chief Brad Hindt says a contractor was remodeling in the home and cutting materials when they hit something metal igniting fumes from cleaning solvent and PVC glue causing the fire.
Hindt says firefighters opened up the floor in the affected room to extinguish the fire. Since there was just a crawlspace under that room firefighters used less than 75 gallons of water to extinguish the blaze according to Hindt.
The Sheldon Fire Company was back in service at 1:30 Tuesday afternoon, according to Hindt.
Also assisting on scene were officers from the Sheldon Police Department, as well as the Sheldon Community Ambulance Team.