According to Ocheyedan Fire Chief Dan Hartwig, the Ocheyedan Fire Department was paged about 4 PM Saturday afternoon to a barn fire about 4 miles west of Ocheyedan on Highway 9, and 2 miles north. The chief says Bill Pranger owns the place and one of his sons lives there.
Hartwig says when the fire department got there, the barn had pretty much burned down already. He said the heat had also melted some siding on the house but other than that, the house was not damaged.
The chief says the 40 by 60-foot barn was a total loss. In fact it was so far gone by the time they were called that they didn’t even take their hoses off the truck.
Chief Hartwig says the cause of the fire is thought to be related to a heat lamp. There were no injuries reported to people, pets, or livestock.
The chief says fire crews were on scene for about a half hour.