The Sioux County Sheriff’s Office reports that just before 3 PM, Orange City emergency crews responded to the report of a barn fire at 3931 Jackson Avenue, four miles north of Orange City.
When they got there they found the barn with heavy smoke coming from it. It rapidly became engulfed by fire. The barn was owned by 78-year-old Peter Vander Zwaag of Orange City.
No injuries were reported.
The barn and its contents are considered a total loss. It appears a heat lamp inside the barn started the fire, according to authorities.
The Sioux Center Fire Department, Alton Fire Department and the sheriff’s office assisted the Orange City Fire Department and Orange City Ambulance on the scene.
Pictures courtesy Sioux County Sheriff’s Office