Special Union Pacific Train Highlights Safety
Date posted - June 18, 2013
Union Pacific Railroad safety officials were in Sheldon Tuesday, and gave invited guests and media representatives a ride on a special passenger train to educate them on grade crossing and pedestrian safety.
Leaving from the former Joyce’s parking lot, the train left at 10:30 AM to go to Ashton and back, and at 1:30 PM to go to Hospers and back.
KIWA’s Jessica DeBoer took a ride with Union Pacific, riding in the cab of the locomotive.
In an effort to educate the public about grade crossing and pedestrian safety, UP established the Union Pacific’s Crossing Accident Reduction Education and Safety (UP CARES) program. Union Pacific is committed to public safety through various outreach channels such as community events, media, Union Pacific Railroad police, employee resource groups and Operation Lifesaver. The UP CARES public safety initiative brings together communities in a collaborative and caring effort to promote railroad grade crossing and pedestrian safety.
UP CARES activities include:
• Grade crossing enforcement with local, county and state law enforcement agencies;
• Safety trains that provide local officials a firsthand look at what locomotive engineers see daily while they operate trains through a community and
• Communication blitzes that educate the community at events or media outreach.
Additional pictures from the ride:
Leave a ReplySheldon Broadcasting Company, Inc. appreciates your comments that abide by the following guidelines:
1. Avoid profanities or foul language.
2. Disagree, but avoid ad hominem (personal) attacks.
3. Threats are treated seriously and will be reported to law enforcement.
4. Spam and advertising are not permitted in the comments area.
These guidelines are very general and cannot cover every possible situation. Please don't assume that Sheldon Broadcasting Company, Inc. or its advertisers agrees with or otherwise endorses any particular comment. We reserve the right to filter or delete comments or to deny posting privileges entirely at our discretion. Please note that comments are reviewed by the selected staff and may not be posted immediately. If you feel your comment was filtered inappropriately, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to:Special Union Pacific Train Highlights Safety