News

Experts: Lead Paint Still A Concern

Orange City, Iowa — Sioux County Community Health Partners (CHP) tells us that this week is Lead Poisoning Awareness Week in Iowa.

They tell us that lead poisoning is a significant health concern for young children. Lead harms a child’s nervous system and is associated with increased learning difficulties, reduced IQ, and behavioral problems, according to them. They say a lead-poisoned child will not look or act sick. The only way to know if a child is lead poisoned is by testing.

Health experts say that lead dust from chipping and peeling paint is the main source of lead exposure among children. Opening and closing windows painted with lead-based paint is a major source of lead dust in the home. Children can breathe in or swallow the lead dust when they put toys, pacifiers, or their hands in their mouths. While lead is no longer used in paint, it may still be found in homes built before 1978.

Community Health Partners gives us some tips to keep your family lead-safe. They say that children should be tested for lead at the 1 year AND 2 year well-child visits. Also, we’re told that paint used in houses built before 1978 likely contains lead, and to keep paint intact (no chipping/peeling) or keep it covered with coats of fresh new paint. CHP also says that painting, scraping, and remodeling projects that expose old paint can create toxic dust. Learn about lead-safe practices before working on your home. Dust spreads lead, say CHP experts. Wet-mop floors, wet wipe window sills, vacuum, dust, and wash surfaces often. They also say that dust can get on toys, pacifiers, bottles – anything kids put in their mouths (including their hands), so wash them regularly. Also, feed your child foods with calcium, iron and Vitamin C – these nutrients help their bodies to absorb less lead.

For more information, visit idph.iowa.gov/Environmental-Health-Services/Childhood-Lead-Poisoning-Prevention.

Previous ArticleNext Article