Fire Marshal’s Office Offers Propane Safety and Winter Weather Steps to Keep Your Family Safe
Date posted - December 29, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa — Extreme cold, sleet, and ice may all be part of winter, but being unprepared for them shouldn’t be. If your home or business uses propane to generate heat or run appliances, the State Fire Marshal’s office and the Iowa Propane Gas Association have some safety tips for you.
- Make sure your heating system and appliances are running efficiently.
- Make sure you have an adequate propane supply.
- Mark the location of your tank with a flag, pole, or stake that is higher than the average snow cover depth for your location.
- After a winter storm passes and it is safe to do so, check the entire area for downed power lines, damaged gas lines, or damage to your propane tank, and call a professional if there is damage.
- Check your chimneys, flue pipes, vent connectors, and propane tank for damage, blockage, or debris caused by snow and ice. Use a broom rather than a shovel.
- Never use a stove for space heating and never use outdoor propane appliances indoors or in enclosed areas, particularly in the event of a power outage.
- Use extreme caution when operating portable generators, and never use them indoors either.
Leave a ReplySheldon Broadcasting Company, Inc. appreciates your comments that abide by the following guidelines:
1. Avoid profanities or foul language.
2. Disagree, but avoid ad hominem (personal) attacks.
3. Threats are treated seriously and will be reported to law enforcement.
4. Spam and advertising are not permitted in the comments area.
These guidelines are very general and cannot cover every possible situation. Please don't assume that Sheldon Broadcasting Company, Inc. or its advertisers agrees with or otherwise endorses any particular comment. We reserve the right to filter or delete comments or to deny posting privileges entirely at our discretion. Please note that comments are reviewed by the selected staff and may not be posted immediately. If you feel your comment was filtered inappropriately, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to:Fire Marshal’s Office Offers Propane Safety and Winter Weather Steps to Keep Your Family Safe