Sheldon, Iowa — If you need help filing your taxes, help might be as close as Northwest Iowa Community College in Sheldon.
NCC is again working with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) as a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance or “VITA” site. Sheila Drenkow with NCC says the purpose of the VITA site is to expand the use of the earned income credit for under-served Iowans with low to moderate income.
She says they don’t just help you, they actually do your taxes with the information you provide if you qualify, and submit your taxes electronically.
Again, low and limited income is defined by the IRS as $53,000 per household, and that’s the income limit for the free service. They also help older Iowans over the age of 65.
She says while they do take walk-ins during the times that they are open, she suggests calling for an appointment.
She says once you schedule an appointment, they send you a letter telling you what you need to bring, including W2’s, 1099’s, proof of medical insurance, last year’s tax return, social security cards and more.
Again, if you’d like to make an appointment, you can call 712-324-5061 or 800-352-4907, extension 272 to leave a message and an administrative secretarial student will contact you to schedule an appointment.
The service is available on these times and dates:
- Tuesday, February 23, 6:00pm – 8:00pm
- Wednesday, February 24, 4:00pm – 7:00pm
- Friday, February 26, 10:00 am – 1:00pm
- Wednesday, March 2, 4:00pm – 7:00pm
- Wednesday, March 16, 4:00pm – 7:00pm
- Friday, March 18, 10:00 am – 1:00pm
- Wednesday, March 23, 4:00pm – 7:00pm
- Wednesday, March 30, 4:00pm – 7:00pm
- Friday, April 1, 10:00am – 1:00pm