Hy-Vee Recalling Salad Topping, More Trail Mix
Date posted - June 4, 2016
West Des Moines, Iowa — Hy-Vee, Incorporated is recalling more trail mix varieties and some salad topping after health concerns about sunflower seeds grown at a farm in Minnesota.
Hy-Vee is voluntarily recalling one of its salad toppings and additional trail mix products across its eight-state region due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The products include Hy-Vee Garden Style Salad Topping, Hy-Vee Trail Mix Bars, Hy-Vee Peanut Almond Dark Chocolate Protein Bars, Hy-Vee Caramel Cashew Honey Crunch Trail Mix, Hy-Vee Dark Chocolate Cranberry Trail Mix, Hy-Vee Raisin and Nut Trail Mix, and Hy-Vee Santa Fe Trail Mix.
The potential for contamination was discovered after Hy-Vee’s sunflower kernel supplier, SunOpta, announced they were recalling specific lots of sunflower kernels due to the potential for Listeria monocytogenes. The initial recall was limited to sunflower kernel products produced at SunOpta’s Crookston, Minnesota, facility; however, this week, the recall was expanded even further to include additional products supplied to Hy-Vee and other retailers across the United States.
Listeria monocytogenes is an organism, which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria monocytogenes infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
To date, no illnesses have been reported in connection with these products.
Out of an abundance of caution, Hy-Vee is recalling the following salad topping from all of its stores:
- Hy-Vee Garden Style Salad Topping — sold in 6.75 oz. containers with the UPC number 7545004755 and with the following lot codes: 232A5B; 238A5B; 239A5C; 279A5C; 327A5B; 327A5C; 041A6C; 042A6B; and 111A6B
Out of an abundance of caution, Hy-Vee is recalling the following additional trail mix products from all of its stores:
- Hy-Vee Trail Mix Bars — sold in 12-pack boxes with the UPC number 7545008401 and with “best by” dates between April 23, 2016, and Oct. 30, 2016
- Hy-Vee Peanut Almond Dark Chocolate Protein Bars — sold in 8-pack boxes with the UPC number 7545010885 and with “best by” dates between April 2, 2016, and Nov. 21, 2016
- Hy-Vee Caramel Cashew Honey Crunch Trail Mix — sold in 24 oz. bags with the UPC number 75450040586 and with “best by” dates between July 10, 2016, and April 22, 2017
- Hy-Vee Dark Chocolate Cranberry Trail Mix — sold in 24 oz. bags with the UPC number 75450041354 and with “best by” dates between Aug. 5, 2016, and March 14, 2017
- Hy-Vee Dark Chocolate Cranberry Trail Mix — sold in 8 oz. bags with the UPC number 75450041378 and with “best by” dates between Oct. 4, 2016, and April 11, 2017
- Hy-Vee Raisin and Nut Trail Mix — sold in 9 oz. bags with the UPC number 75450040746 and with “best by” dates between Aug. 10, 2016, and March 14, 2017
- Hy-Vee Raisin and Nut Trail Mix — sold in 26 oz. bags with the UPC number 75450016802 and with “best by” dates between April 26, 2016, and March 18, 2017
- Hy-Vee Santa Fe Trail Mix — sold in 26 oz. bags with the UPC number 75450016826 and with a “best by” date of Feb. 16, 2017
Customers who purchased any of these products should discard them or return them to their local Hy-Vee store for a full refund.
Consumers with questions may contact Hy-Vee Customer Care representatives 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 1-800-772-4098.