Date posted - January 21, 2013

law lightbar blueNorthwest Iowa — Northwest Iowa Law enforcement officers have made a number of drug arrests in the past few days.

On Saturday, (1/19), the Lyon County Sheriff’s Office assisted with a drug search and the arrest of a Texas man. Deputies report that at about 10:45 PM, they assisted an Iowa Department of Criminal Investigation agent in executing a search warrant at the Grand Falls Casino, on the state line near Larchwood. As a result of the search, 26-year-old Sean C. Williams of Houston, TX was arrested. Williams was charged with Possession of a Controlled Substance, a serious misdemeanor, and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia, a simple misdemeanor. The Iowa State Patrol and Grand Falls Casino Security also assisted with the search warrant.

A Rock Rapids man was arrested on Friday in Rock Rapids on drug charges. Officers arrested 24-year-old Collin Campbell of Rock Rapids in the 300 Block of First Avenue. He was charged with Second Offense OWI and Possession of a Controlled Substance.

On Wednesday (1/16), a Sheldon man was arrested by the O’Brien County Sheriff’s Office. They report that they arrested 61-year-old Timothy Joseph Elbert of Sheldon on Washington Avenue in the 9 AM hour. He was charged with Second Offense OWI, Possession of a controlled substance, and possession of drug paraphernalia.

And the Dickinson County Sheriff’s Office arrested three people on felony drug charges and found a half a pound of marijuana on Wednesday (1/16).

A Sheriff’s Deputy stopped a vehicle driven by 26-year-old Meng Thao of Storm Lake, for a traffic violation east of Spirit Lake on Highway 9. A vehicle search turned up cash and 0.52 pounds of plant material believed to be marijuana. The three occupants of the vehicle were arrested and booked into the Dickinson County Jail.

Thao was charged with Possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver – marijuana, a Class D Felony, Drug tax stamp violation, a Class D Felony, Failure to have a valid driver’s license, a simple misdemeanor, and Excessive speed, a simple misdemeanor.

Nineteen-year-old Justin L. Fang and 26-year-old Kong M. Xiong both of Storm Lake, were also charged with possession with intent to deliver and drug tax stamp violations.

All three were released after posting $5000 bond.

8 Responses to “NW Iowa Law Enforcement Officers Make A Number Of Drug Arrests Including Three Felonies”

1. Hugh Yonn says:

We all know that someday, soon, this prohibition will end.

I spent 5 years in Federal Prison for a marijuana offense.

The memorable day that I met with the parole panel, I asked, “When pot becomes legal, what will my 5 years spent in prison have meant?”

Their response, “That is a very philosophical question. We don’t deal with philosophy in this office.”

Case closed…go back to your cell.

When the 5 years were gone, I walked out and never looked back. But, I know to this day, there are thousands of Americans still rotting in jail over a plant.

I wrote about the escapades that led to my imprisonment…my book:
    Shoulda Robbed a Bank

I would be honored by your review.

• Doug says:

Right or wrong, at the time, you knew it was illegal and took your chances. Was it worth it?

Drugs ruin a lot of lives in this country. Especially young lives, that have no control over what their parents expose them to. I have seen very very few successful drug users in society.

Then there’s the argument “who am I hurting”? Drug users are a hazard to everyone that is around them when they are driving & working. It’s a fine line between “I am in control” and “over the edge”. That’s why we don’t want your drugs, on our streets and around our kids.

2. Robert Keller says:

Banks are easier than robbing liquor stores. I was always worried that a liquor store clerk would pull a gun on me but never had to worry about that when robbing a bank. I wonder how many super intelligent people would not be rotting in jail if they drove with their dope and were not stoned and got pulled over for something stupid. Case in point, back in my young and dumb days, I drove from 29 Palms CA to Iowa with half a pound of really good weed. I also was stoned on acid, and while driving on the interstate in Kansas, I thought I was driving in the grassy medium between the 4 lanes. Lucky I did not come to a river! FYI, half of Melvin was stoned on New Year’s Eve, 1978.

I have several disabilities, I am waiting for medicinal marijuana to be legal in Iowa. It will take years before that happens. but I know that in Iowa, the possession of something so good for pain, etc. is a big deal. So I’ll wait.

4. Disappointed says:

The replies here are a sad statement about the inhabitants of NW Iowa. Bunch of lazy stoners blaming their problems on the man and putting all their hopes on a weed. When they finally give you your weed, you will be disappointed to find out all your problems still exist, and you’ll need to find something else to blame. Ask yourself this, if they were to decouple the pain killing aspects of weed from the high would you take it? I suspect not. In other words, the “use as a pain killer” is just an excuse to get high.

You bet your sweet derriere I would take it. I take so much tylenol, ibuprofen, naproxen that it is ruining my stomach and still doesn’t help. I use heating pads, ice, stretching, etc. and nothing helps. If they could separate the high from the pain help, it would help me get it sooner. Because the state of Iowa would be more likely to make it legal that way. I smoked some MJ in my youth, then haven’t had any more in over 40 years.

5. Robert Keller says:

LeAnn, what kind of pain do you have and what from? I avoid taking any medicines for lower back pain, other than a baby aspirin a day for stroke prevention. I have to do 2 naproxen when it finally gets to be too annoying. I do a lot of yoga to ease my pain, which allows me flexibility. I have to cut wood daily for heat and in the summer, spend 12 to 16 hours a day in the market garden to supply my farm markets with. I also quit doing all that stuff a long time ago, March 23 1980 is the last time I smoked weed, did acid or meth or drank anything. I hope I never have to do medical marijuana, or if I have to, to not have to smoke it.

Medicinal marijuana can be smoked, baked into brownies (yep you heard me), or used as an oil. From what I have read about MMJ the oil takes more plants, but it is easier to take than smoking. I am an ex smoker and know that if I smoked one cigarette, I’d probably buy a carton. And sure cannot afford that anymore. So I wouldn’t want to have to smoke it.

Surprisingly, the one thing that has helped the most is when I started taking vitamins D3, magnesium, calcium and B complex. Which I think is just weird, nobody I know ever felt better just because they were taking vitamins.