Sibley, Iowa — Twenty-seven nonprofit groups representing five different areas of Osceola County received more than $82,000 in grants from the Osceola County Community Foundation in a ceremony held Wednesday night.
The purpose of these grants is to assist local groups to promote and support human services, the arts and culture, health and recreation, economic well being, youth development and the educational needs of Osceola County residents.
Mike Earll of the Osceola County Community Foundation talked about how these grants came about.
Earll says the grants were given to a wide variety of projects, many of which would have been unfunded without the Community Foundation Grants.
Earll says the Osceola County Community Foundation has awarded about one half million dollars in grants over the past 8 years.
These are the projects that were awarded funds during Wednesday evening’s ceremony:
1. $ 3500 Westerners 4-H Club (Construction of a viewing platform at Hawkeye Point)
2. $ 2465 Sibley Senior Center (Install an automatic door on west side of Senior Center)
3. $ 3500 Ashton Area Dev. Corp (Rehabilitate existing post office)
4. $ 3500 May City Fire Dept. (Pay to have old pumper refurbished into a tanker)
5. $ 1350 Bright Beginnings (Purchase equipment for physical act. & vacuum cleaner)
6. $ 3500 Sibley Ambulance (Purchase an Auto Pulse Cardiac Support Pump)
7. $ 3500 Osceola Co. Rec. Trails (Creating an 8 ft. wide concrete bike trail)
8. $ 3500 Ashton Am. Legion Post (Replace Commercial Air Conditioner)
9. $ 3500 S-O FFA Chapter (Build bathroom/shower at Hawkeye Point Campground)
10. $ 3500 Ocheyedan Sr. Activity Center (Upgrade lighting in facility)
11. $ 3500 Melvin Area Econ Dev. Corp. (Have mural painted on old grocery store)
12. $ 1500 Sibley Chamber of Commerce (Purchase pedestals to display local artwork downtown)
13. $ 3500 Osceola Co. Sheriff (Purchase new canine to replace current one)
14. $ 3500 Osceola Co. Cons. Bd. (Construction of observation deck at Willow Creek)
15. $ 3500 S-O Early Childhood Dev. (Musical experimenting & exploring area on playground)
16. $ 3500 Ashton Betterment Comm. (Seating near playground equip./trash receptacles)
17. $ 3500 McCallum Museum (Scrape, prime & paint museum/caulk & renail siding)
18. $ 3500 Osceola Co. Youth Adv. Comm. (Host series of youth STEM camps & workshops)
19. $ 3500 Osceola Co. Ext. (Hire person to work with groups submitting events to comm. calander)
20. $ 3500 S-O Band Boosters (Purchase string instruments for high school band)
21. $ 3500 Ashton Fire Dept. (Purchase a reach & rescue pole for water, ice & mud)
22. $ 3500 Ashton Comm. Emergency Serv. (Purchase power cot)
23. $ 3500 Ashton Ave. of Flags (Flagpole sockets around city park/5 poles & flags)
24. $ 3500 Sibley Golf Course (Update kitchen)
25. $ 3500 Sibley Prairie View Corridor (Install underground wiring at signs for lighting displays)
26. $ 3500 Pheasants Forever (Purchase VICON broadcast seeder/culti-packer & side rake)
27. $ 1066.67 Osceola Comm. Health Services (Purchase generator to power portable LED sign)