Sioux Center Fire Chief David Van Holland says the fire was on Sioux Feed property near county road B46 and Highway 75, about a half mile south of the new Sioux Center city limits. He says when the Sioux Center Fire Department arrived, they found a number of round bales on fire. He says they hauled the bales into a field and pulled them apart while dousing the fire with water.
He says they called for help from the Maurice and Ireton fire departments, and at 6:00 on Tuesday morning, the Sioux Center Fire Department returned and disked under the smoldering bales.
Van Holland says the cause appears to have been burning trash.
There were no injuries to people, pets, or livestock, but around 200 to 300 round bales were destroyed, estimated at a value of $15,000 to $22,000
The fire chief says the fire departments were there on Monday for about three and a half hours, and when the Sioux Center Fire Department returned on Tuesday morning they were there for about two hours.