Sheldon RAGBRAI Preparations And Safety Reminders & That’s How We Roll Thursdays
Date posted - June 7, 2014
Motorists, please plan ahead on Sunday morning! Sunday starting around 9 AM, Sheldon will be welcoming over 10,000 riders into Sheldon via Highway 18, around City Park, and then leaving via Country Club Road. It will be very important to keep in mind how you will get around Sheldon as a visitor or resident that day. If you can hop on your bike or walk, you will be happier and the roads will be safer. Sunday is going to be a great day, so we encourage you to come out to City Park and experience RAGBRAI!
With the arrival of RAGBRAI riders in the not too distant future, the Sheldon RAGBRAI committee reminds residents along the route to get ready by cleaning up their property. There are also some safety reminders for residents who are greeting the riders.
- Young children should be discouraged from joining the riders as they come through the town. Many accidents occur every year because young children are inexperienced in riding with large groups
- Don’t give ‘high fives’ to the riders, this could cause an accident.
- Don’t spray riders with water unless you ask first.
- Don’t hand anything to the riders . They can’t carry anything on their bicycles.
There are some extra cautions for rural residents on the RAGBRAI route as well.
- You will have a hard time crossing the road or getting out of the driveway. Plan accordingly
- If you invite cyclists on your property, be aware that you could be liable for injuries.
- For the safety of your pets and riders, keep your pets penned or leashed.
- Keep children off the road
- If you offer refreshments, be aware of state food and beverage laws
- Water stands should be on the right side of the road
- Be aware that the roads will not be closed to regular traffic.
To refer to this list and other RAGBRAI information, go to the RAGBRAI logo on the KIWA radio website.
Sheldon, Iowa — When the 10,000-plus RAGBRAI riders come through Sheldon on July 20th, they will enter the city on Highway 18 from the west. Their route will go around the City Park, then back to Highway 18, leaving Sheldon by going north on Country Club Road.
Support vehicles will take a different route, however, and that route has now been announced. RAGBRAI support vehicles will approach Sheldon from the south on Highway 60. They will be asked to take either Exit 31, which is the Business 60 exit, or the Country Club Road Exit (Exit 33).
This route will provide access to various locations around the community where the riders and their support vehicles can rendezvous. It will also give them access to City Park where the various food vendors, beverage garden and entertainment will be located.
The support vehicles will then be asked to leave the city along the same route they used when they arrived.
The UPDATED 2014 Sheldon RAGBRAI T Shirt Order Form can be downloaded by clicking here
Wear your Orange RAGBRAI t-shirt for the “That’s How We Roll” Thursdays promotion in Sheldon, which is happening today. See your local participating merchants for details on special savings. Get your RAGBRAI t-shirt from the SCDC Office or call 324-2813.
For more information, go to www.sheldoniowa.com
For other stories on RAGBRAI, click on the links below