Rock Rapids, Iowa – The Rock Rapids Fire Department was able to prevent damage to a manufacturing facility on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 in Rock Rapids.
According to Rock Rapids Fire Chief Ed Reck, about 7:05 AM, the Rock Rapids Fire Department was called to the report of smoke at Maintainer Custom Bodies at 909 South East Street. That’s on the south edge of Rock Rapids on K52.
The chief says the fire department saw smoke coming from a dust collector on the south side of the building as they approached the scene. He says the filters in the dust collector were on fire. He says the cause of the fire is thought to have been a spark that somehow got into the collector.
After they pulled the filters out of the system and put out the fire, they vented smoke out of the building.
Reck reports that there were no injuries reported.
Chief Reck reports that the damage was limited to the filters. He says after they were done, they started the dust collector system, and it ran fine.
He says they used only about 150 gallons of water to fight the fire, and crews were on scene for about an hour.