Rural George Barn, 35 Baby Calves, Hay Destroyed In Fire

Date posted - May 13, 2013

george_fire_smGeorge, Iowa — A barn north of George was destroyed by fire on Saturday, and three fire departments helped to put it out.

George Fire Chief Bill Sprock says the call went out about 3:30 Saturday afternoon. He says it was a place owned by a corporation, but the contents of the barn were owned by Nate Schulte of Rock Rapids. The address of the fire was 1652 Jefferson Avenue. Sprock says that’s four miles north, a mile west, and another mile and a half north

No one was living on the place.

Chief Sprock says by the time the first fire crews were on-scene, the barn was already down, so they concentrated their efforts on defending the other buildings on the property. He says the fire fighting effort was made more difficult due to the 35 mile-per-hour winds that were blowing on Saturday.

At this time, the chief says the cause seems to have been electrical in nature.

He says 35 head of baby calves were lost in the fire, and the building was completely destroyed. There was also some hay in the barn as well. The chief estimates damage will top $50,000.

The George Fire Department called for water from the Ellsworth (MN) and Little Rock Fire Departments.

The chief reports about 20,000 gallons of water were used to fight the fire, and crews were there for about 3 hours — until 6:30 PM.

Print Friendly

Leave a Reply

Sheldon Broadcasting Company, Inc. appreciates your comments that abide by the following guidelines:
1. Avoid profanities or foul language.
2. Disagree, but avoid ad hominem (personal) attacks.
3. Threats are treated seriously and will be reported to law enforcement.
4. Spam and advertising are not permitted in the comments area.
These guidelines are very general and cannot cover every possible situation. Please don't assume that Sheldon Broadcasting Company, Inc. or its advertisers agrees with or otherwise endorses any particular comment. We reserve the right to filter or delete comments or to deny posting privileges entirely at our discretion. Please note that comments are reviewed by the selected staff and may not be posted immediately. If you feel your comment was filtered inappropriately, please email walt@kiwaradio.com.


Back to:Rural George Barn, 35 Baby Calves, Hay Destroyed In Fire