Le Mars Fire Chief Dave Schipper says the fire was about 11 miles west of Le Mars, but smoke could be seen soon after leaving Le Mars.
The fire was located in the 16000 block of Hickory Avenue and was reported about 6:10 Sunday night, August 3rd. The home is owned by Joe and Lisa Lehner.
He says the flames were so hot and intense that they started to melt two vehicles that were at least 20 feet away from the main fire.
The cause of the blaze is thought to be related to the operation of a grill inside the garage.
There were no injuries but two cats didn’t make it.
Schipper says he estimates there was over $100,000 and says the home may have been totaled. The occupants are receiving services from the Red Cross.
Mutual aid was provided by the Akron Fire Department. Also helping were Le Mars Ambulance personnel, Plymouth County Emergency Management, Rural Electric personnel, and the American Red Cross.
Fire fighters were on the scene for more than three hours battling the blaze.