Sheldon, Iowa — A garage was destroyed and a house was damaged in a fire in Sheldon on Monday night, May 17th.
Sheldon Fire Chief Jerry Meyer reports that just before 11:40 PM, Sheldon Fire Company was called to a garage fire at 911 Fourth Street in Sheldon. That’s in central Sheldon, two blocks south of Washington Avenue and Highway 18, and a little northwest.
When firefighters arrived, Meyer says they found the garage was totally engulfed in fire and an adjacent mud room of the house was also on fire. Firefighters attacked the fire using water with foam and had it under control within about 10 minutes after the initial attack.
The garage was destroyed and the mud room of the house and a storage shed behind the garage had considerable damage but the main house was undamaged, says Meyer.
The cause of the fire is thought to be electrical in nature. He says a damage estimate is not available. No injuries were reported.
Meyer says the occupants of the home were alerted of the fire by the mother of the family who saw the fire from the bedroom window. He says she alerted the family they all exited safely.
According to the chief, a neighbor called in the fire after noticing the lights of his house flickering and looked out to see the fire next door.
The Fire Company responded with approximately 20 firefighters and were on scene for about 2 hours.
He says the Sheldon Community Ambulance Team, law enforcement and Emergency Management personnel assisted the fire company.