Sheldon Home Damaged By Fire Monday Evening

Date posted - January 10, 2012

A garage was destroyed, and the adjoining house damaged by heat and smoke in a fire that happened Monday evening in Sheldon.

The Sheldon Fire Department was called to the residence at 1001 Oak Street about 6:50 Monday evening, after the home’s residents were alerted to a fire in their garage by a couple who spotted the blaze while walking past the home.

Sheldon Fire Chief Jerry Meyer says that when firefighters arrived on the scene the garage was fully engulfed in flames, and the fire was beginning to travel into the attic. Meyer says firefighters were able to put out the flames in the garage, then moved on to access the attic through the roof, and from inside the house. He says burning insulation and rafters were extinguished and insulation removed until the blaze had been completely extinguished.

27 firefighters were on the scene for about 3-1/2 hours, and fortunately there were no injuries to firefighters or occupants of the home.

Meyer says the fire was apparently caused by some burnt popcorn that had been put into a garbage can in the garage. No dollar estimate of the damage is currently available.

By: Tom Traughber, KIWA News

Print Friendly

Leave a Reply

Sheldon Broadcasting Company, Inc. appreciates your comments that abide by the following guidelines:
1. Avoid profanities or foul language.
2. Disagree, but avoid ad hominem (personal) attacks.
3. Threats are treated seriously and will be reported to law enforcement.
4. Spam and advertising are not permitted in the comments area.
These guidelines are very general and cannot cover every possible situation. Please don't assume that Sheldon Broadcasting Company, Inc. or its advertisers agrees with or otherwise endorses any particular comment. We reserve the right to filter or delete comments or to deny posting privileges entirely at our discretion. Please note that comments are reviewed by the selected staff and may not be posted immediately. If you feel your comment was filtered inappropriately, please email walt@kiwaradio.com.


Back to:Sheldon Home Damaged By Fire Monday Evening