Quick Work By Sibley Fire Department Saves Buildings, Dog

Date posted - January 24, 2013

Rotating Light FS WheelerSibley, Iowa — A neighbor is being credited with saving some buildings and possibly the life of a dog when he saw a doghouse in Sibley on fire in the noon hour on Thursday (1/24/12).

According to Sibley Fire Chief Kenny Huls, the fire was at 517 5th Avenue in Sibley. He says the fire was probably caused by a short circuit in a heating pad that had been left for the dog. The dog, part lab, part retriever was able to get out of the doghouse, but was on a 5-foot leash, says Huls. He says they found the dog trying to bury himself in the snow to keep from the heat of the burning doghouse, which was fully engulfed in fire when they arrived.

Huls says the dog was singed by the fire, but otherwise escaped without injury, and no other injuries were reported. He says the doghouse is a total loss, but two nearby structures were not damaged.

Print Friendly

Leave a Reply

Sheldon Broadcasting Company, Inc. appreciates your comments that abide by the following guidelines:
1. Avoid profanities or foul language.
2. Disagree, but avoid ad hominem (personal) attacks.
3. Threats are treated seriously and will be reported to law enforcement.
4. Spam and advertising are not permitted in the comments area.
These guidelines are very general and cannot cover every possible situation. Please don't assume that Sheldon Broadcasting Company, Inc. or its advertisers agrees with or otherwise endorses any particular comment. We reserve the right to filter or delete comments or to deny posting privileges entirely at our discretion. Please note that comments are reviewed by the selected staff and may not be posted immediately. If you feel your comment was filtered inappropriately, please email walt@kiwaradio.com.


Back to:Quick Work By Sibley Fire Department Saves Buildings, Dog