Sibley, Iowa — The Sibley Fire Department saved a tractor from going up in smoke on Thursday night.
Sibley Fire Chief Kenny Huls says the fire department was paged about 9:12 PM on Thursday night to a tractor fire a mile south of the state line on Highway 60.
He says they arrived to find a 2011 four-wheel-drive tractor with smoke coming from it. Huls says the tractor was owned by Terry Schuck. He says Schuck’s bother had been disc ripping with the tractor when he noticed some smoke and called 911.
When firefighters arrived, Huls says they did see some smoke near diesel exhaust fluid tank. He says there was a wiring harness above tank that apparently shorted out and started on fire, and that started the tank on fire.
Huls reports that there was about $3000 loss to the tank and the wiring harness.
He says they were on scene for about a half an hour.
Hulls says the Sibley Fire Department has had a busy fall with about 14 calls since October 1st, including a structure fire.