Three Northwest Iowa Young People Charged In Sheldon Burglaries

Date posted - April 3, 2013

O'Brien JailSheldon, Iowa — Two young people from Lyon County and one from Sioux County have been charged in connection with a string of incidents in January in Sheldon.

The Sheldon Police Department advises that an investigation into numerous crimes that occurred in Sheldon during the evening of January 17 and the early morning hours of January 18, 2013, has resulted in the charges. Those charged are alleged to have stolen a mini-van from the 1100 block of 14th Street which they later destroyed when they attempted to use it to jump a rock pile. The men also allegedly entered garages which were located on South Ninth Avenue and the 1600 block of Oak Street. They are accused of stealing a number of items from these garages. Stolen were guns, a compound bow, wallets and handbags, credit cards and gift cards, a Garmin GPS unit, a radar detector, and numerous other miscellaneous items.

In connection with the incidents, 20-year-old Dakota Looks Twice Acevedo of Rock Rapids was arrested and charged with two counts of Burglary in the 2nd Degree and two counts of Theft in the 2nd Degree. Acevedo was transported from the Lyon County Jail to the O’Brien County Jail where he is being held on an arrest warrant.

Also charged was 19-year-old Frederick Jesus Hinojosa of George. He is charged with Operating a Vehicle Without Owners’ Consent, Criminal Mischief in the 2nd Degree, two counts of Burglary in the Second Degree, and two counts of Theft in the 2nd Degree. Hinojosa is presently in the Sarpy County Jail in Papillion, Nebraska on unrelated charges and will face extradition to Iowa when his Nebraska charges are taken care of.

The Sheldon Police report they also charged 18-year-old Trey Michael Sandbulte of Hull. He was charged with two counts of Burglary in the 2nd Degree and two counts of Theft in the 2nd Degree. Sandbulte was arrested by a Sioux County Deputy and was transported to the O’Brien County Jail where he is also being held on an arrest warrant.

An investigation into these incidents continues and additional arrests are likely, according to Sheldon Police.

Several area law enforcement agencies assisted the Sheldon Police Department, including the Lyon County Sheriff’s Department, the Sioux County Sheriff’s Department, and the Orange City Police Department.

The Sheldon Police Department wants to remind the public that a criminal charge is merely an accusation and that all persons are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

11 Responses to “Three Northwest Iowa Young People Charged In Sheldon Burglaries”

1. Charlie says:

Crimes being reported like this more and more often around here. No longer feeling as safe a community as it used to.

• Neighbor says:

I’ve heard a rumor that a business surveillance camera caught said individuals transferring stolen items from one vehicle to another which was reported to authorities within a week of the incident. Why does it take 2 1/2 months for these individuals to be locked up? It is a real eye opener when it happens in your own neighborhood. I would like to see justice served when their sole intention is to destroy someone elses personal property!

• RR says:

2 1/2 months isn’t bad. Our case took over 5 months before the thief was charged when he stole over $500 worth of property. And he only got a slap on the hand a small fine. You are right, it is getting harder to trust people today.

• Thebeansma says:

People the bubble has popped! Lock your doors! It’s only going to get worse! But when the govt is involved in how we discipline our kids, this is to be expected!

• Neighbor's Neighbor says:

We should all be happy that the alleged perpetrators are now in custody. Remember, it’s not always like it is on TV where the bad guys are caught in 59 minutes less commercial time.

2. Friend says:

It is sad to see these boys continuously commit like offenses, I wish our justice system (and the officers in the area) did more rehabilitation instead of minor punishments.

• Marcus says:

how about we put the blame where it belongs on the PARENTS of the offenders

• another employee says:

This is just a comment to Marcus. You say blame the parents. Why? Do you know their parents? Are they the ones that drove the getaway vehicle? Are they the ones that took the stuff? Are they the ones that commited the crimes? Are they the ones that are on the surveillence tapes? Your comment may have been posted before you really thought about what you were saying. I am the parent of a young adult. I am not speaking as though I don’t know what i’m talking about, I’m talking from real life experience. If kids(and I know I may get alot of flack about saying this this way, but I don’t care, everyone has a right to their opinions and this is mine)were raised like we were raised when we were kids(and I’m 48), maybe they wouldn’t be the way they are now!!! Sometimes a good a** whoopin is what a kid needs and sometimes only a strong word is needed, but I would never and I mean ever, think about breaking into somebody elses house and stealing, I was taught by my parents and teachers that “if it ain’t yours, don’t mess with it” Some call it being mean, some call it abuse, some may even call it criminal, but for every a** whoopin, grounding, scolding, detention at school, I look back and I deserved them. And I thank God that I had parents like I had and teachers I had back when I was growing up. Not to mention, I apologize to my folks every chance I get when I think back to some of the stuff I did. These young people now days, and I don’t mean all of them, because there are quite a few that are very nice and respectful, but many of them, have no respect for authority. Trust me when I say that I wasn’t an angel growing up, but I know how to say Sir and Mam and Mr. and Mrs., I know when to keep my mouth shut and when to speak up. I know it’s different these days, but the concept is the same. Once again, if it ain’t yours, don’t mess with it.

• Marcus's Neighbor says:

I wonder if Marcus was being sarcastic in his comment about blaming the parents?

It is not logical. They are accused of breaking in to garages? Who keeps their guns, purses, hunting bows, gift cards, etc. in their garage? None of that stuff that I would have would be unsafely kept in a garage. These are things people keep in their houses.

• Juicey Bananas says:

Lee Ann has a very good and valid point and this could possibly be a ploy to trump up missing goods for big homeowners insurance payouts.Not all of these charges but possibly some of them.In this day and age anything to make a buck is possible.