Tractor, Auger Destroyed In Fire
Date posted - September 29, 2015
Sanborn, Iowa — A tractor and auger were destroyed in a fire on Saturday, September 26, 2015 near Sanborn.
According to Sanborn Fire Chief Randy Lyman, about 10:30 AM, the Sanborn Fire Department was called to the report of tractor on fire near the home of Kent Douma at 5468 310th Street, a mile north and a little over two miles west of Sanborn.
The chief says the fire department saw an early 2000’s John Deere 6420 tractor fully engulfed with both rear tires blown and burning as they approached the scene. He says they used water and foam to fight the fire, and had to cut one tire open so they could apply enough foam to extinguish it.
Lyman reports that there were no injuries to people, pets, or livestock.
He says the cause of the fire is believed to have been electrical in nature as a witness said it appeared to have started in the back of the tractor near the wiring harness.
Chief Lyman reports that both the tractor and the auger to which it was attached were totaled in the fire.
He says they used about 1000 gallons of water and five gallons of foam to fight the fire, and crews were on scene about an hour and a half.