Ryan Matthew Greiner, 30, of Morning Sun and Treyton Hartman, 19, of Yarmouth, were charged after search warrants on their residences in Morning Sun and Yarmouth were conducted on Jan. 22nd. The deer, which had been shot with rifles, were reported to the DNR by the public.
Greiner was charged with the following:
- 18 charges of unlawful take/possession/transportation of a white tail deer.
- 18 charges of not having a valid deer tag
- 7 charges of abandonment of dead or injured wildlife
- 2 charges of hunting deer with a motor vehicle
- 1 charge of unlawful possession of a non-game species (raptor foot)
- 1 charge of failure to report harvest
- 1 charge of hunting by artificial light
- 1 charge of no state migratory fee
In addition to the game charges, Greiner was also charged with one count of possession of drug paraphernalia, one count of possession of methamphetamine, one count of possession of marijuana and two counts of unlawful possession of prescription drugs.
The charges against Greiner have a total possible fine of $7,503 as well as liquidated damages of $67,000 for 18 deer.
Hartman was charged and found guilty of the following charges:
- One charge of not having a fur harvesting license
- One charge of abandonment of dead or injured wildlife
- One charge of hunting with artificial light
- One charge of not having a deer tag
- One charge of unlawful take of a whitetail deer – $4,000 damages assessed
- One additional charge of unlawful take of a whitetail deer – $1500 damages assessed
The DNR received assistance on the investigation from the wildlife forensic laboratory of the Wyoming Game and Fish Department in analyzing DNA evidence relative to the case.
The DNR Law Enforcement Bureau also expresses gratitude to members of the public who reported the dead deer which led to the investigation and charges.