Blown Stop Sign Downtown

Date posted - July 10, 2013

Was watching the construction downtown via construction cam and couldn’t help but notice how many people blow the stop sign. Maybe cameras at major intersections would generate more funds to help finance these wonderful projects.

18 Responses to “Blown Stop Sign Downtown”

1. Pete says:

Stop signs in Sheldon are optional. Just go into Hardee’s for a bite and sit facing the northwest windows. That 4-way is like going to the figure 8 races in Primghar, just waiting for the cars to click as they cross.

• Concerned says:

I think the 4 way is great and i never have issues with people taking turns stopping. Some people just want laws, cameras and lights so they don’t have to think independently and be responsible without big government doing it for them!

• Pine Streeter says:

Concerned: I think cameras are great in the cases of “He said, She said” when it comes to accidents. I was crap out of luck when a commercial truck blew a red light and ran into me. We both said we had the right of way. Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t continue to drive safely just b/c a camera was there.

2. Red says:

It’s hard to know where to stop due to the odd placement of the stop sign.

• Common Sense says:

Actually, it’s not. You stop before the intersection, prior to entering the crosswalk area. They teach that the first week of Driver’s Ed. After all, common sense tells us that the purpose of the stop sign at the 9th Street and 3rd Avenue intersection is to protect pedestrians using the crosswalk.

• Bear says:

So therefore we don’t stop at all….I like your logic!

3. Red says:

There is no clearly marked cross walk at the moment.

4. that guy says:

stop signs with white around them are all optional duh guys! haha

5. kenney says:

At this time there is no traffic to right or left downtown so there’s no need to stop unless you want to watch the construction work.

6. Sonny says:

watching the downtown cam that dang stop sign is more of a hindrance then anything

7. jake says:

Prior to the stop sign. Then yield to the right. Its not rocket surgery.

8. Art says:

A stop sign is not only a device that tells who has the right of way, but sometimes also a speed control device. Since at the present, there’s no cross traffic, the stop sign just makes sure that people aren’t going too fast. No matter whether there’s traffic or not, drivers must stop at a stop sign. It’s the law.

9. I.M Disgusted says:

Look both directions. If the vehicle coming appears to be fairly new, go ahead and blow the stop sign. That car will more than likely have insurance. They will stop. If the car is all beat up and barely running, you better stop. They probably won’t have insurance. (and don’t blast me for stereo-typing before you prove me wrong) When I drove an old clunker years ago (I had insurance on it), I always was given the right of way at an intersection. The people with new cars always let me go first.

10. Pine Streeter says:

I only watched it for 10 mins the other day (early in the morning) and noticed the same thing. Just b/c there is not traffic coming from a certain area doesn’t mean there isn’t 3 more including yourself. Why would they put up the stop sign, if they didn’t want people to obey it? Even if I see NO ONE coming I still stop. Just a good and SAFE habit to get into. I think the City should be keeping an eye on it. You can’t tell me they wouldn’t be able to find some way to enforce it.