Bowling Teams Leaving Town

Date posted - November 21, 2013

It’s sad that things can’t go faster for the Bowling Alley. To many bowlers going to other towns to bowl and the money is not in Sheldon any more. What happen to spend your Money in Sheldon and not in other towns. The Bowling wasn’t just for league Bowling other people in town used it like the schools, Village N.W for the residents and families in town for a family place to go. Now they have to go to other town to spend their money. Yes, It’s sad the house burned that a family was fixing up to live in also all the other fires in town. To bad Sheldon don’t have much in town for the familes to do together they go to other towns to do family things.

10 Responses to “Bowling Teams Leaving Town”

1. Ranger Fan says:

As a family you could:
    ..take in a G or PG movie at the multi screen movie theater
    ..take the family for a swim in the indoor or outdoor pool
    ..take the family roller skating
    ..play racquetball with the family at the Courtyard
    ..choose anyone of ten eating establishments to take the family out to eat at
    ..use the walking trail for family exercise
    ..take the family to high school sporting events, musicals or plays
    Sheldon has plenty to do as a family if you care to seek it out.

We’ll get a bowling alley again just not right away.

2. Robert Keller says:

Or support your local college teams. Adopt Dordt or Northwestern. Both have good ladies basketball teams this year. Northwestern Ladies team is super good this year. Men’s games follow the ladies games and it is only $6 for adults.

3. Dug says:

Well, one things for sure, when/if, there is ever another bowling alley built, I sure hope the new owners take into account what the other previous owners downfalls were and make them better. I have lived in the area for over 14 years, so I don’t know about before then, but there were some pretty bad owners at this place. The last owners, didn’t really care about the bowlers, we even had to find our own people to bowl in a league that we had to maintain. There were so many suggestions to the previous owners about how to draw in the younger people to bring back bowling but they refused the suggestions only to have the leagues suffer and some to fold. I understand about making a profit, but some of the things that were witnessed were just not right on many levels. FYI, a bowling alley/fun center/restaraunt/pub is just what this town needs! Can’t somebody find out what the current status is and talk to somebody to get going on it???

• Mark says:

Sounds like a great idea. Now put your money where your mouth is. Buy some land, build the building, get the equipment, hire the employees and get going! It all takes time and money. Easy to spend someone elses. Have to have a lot of frames bowled to pay for it all and without insurance money I am sure it will never be rebuilt.

• Dug says:

From what I heard and this is only what I heard, no confirmation, the previous owners had sold it to somebody, the transaction was done except for the final deal. Then the fire happened. There was a stipulation involved that said if anything happened to the building before ownership could be transferred, then the owner would give back the money to the buyer OR the building and all equipment would be replaced/rebuilt by the previous owners insurance before said transfer took place. I heard that is what the holdup is. Now that’s just the word that I heard. As far as no insurance goes…what are you nuts??? You are telling me all the time we spent in there they had no insurance? Come on man…we all know better than that, it was a business and it DID have insurance, those people didn’t just buy the bowling alley/restaraunt and had all those families in there and didn’t have insurance, I wasn’t born yesterday, geez. And one other thing, as far as putting my money where my mouth is…I would love to buy into the bowling alley. I’m not even from Sheldon, but I would definitely like to see another bowling alley put in town.

And bowling alleys are expensive businesses. There is a huge amount of machinery involved. I have a cousin that used to put in bowling alleys throughout the midwest and from what he says, there is a really big investment involved. He also built the Surf Ballroom in Mason City, where Buddy Holly played.

4. Jeff says:

I do miss it. I was a two time a year bowler. It was always a family holiday tradition. I am not sure why it can’t be cleaned up.

5. Al says:

The wheels of progress sometimes move slowly!