Bullying By More Than Students

Date posted - March 14, 2013

I agree that students bullying other students is a problem that needs to be addressed. But what about teachers bullying students? As a parent, we trust that the teachers are going to watch out for our kids during the day, but when the teachers are not protecting our kids, or even worse, are being the bully, what can be done?

From a concerned parent

37 Responses to “Bullying By More Than Students”

My kids occasionally complained about a mean teacher, and I would discuss it with the Principal, who was very fair and never took sides. One time, my daughter said a teacher was so very mean to her. And I sat in the class and she wasn’t mean to anyone personally, she had a shrill voice, was a little tiny old lady, and sounded like a drill sergeant. But it was not personal and she actually was quite caring towards her kids. She just sounded a bit scarey.

I’ve had two kids in school, and three grandchildren (grandkids in Sheldon), and I have yet to find a noncaring, or mean teacher. These teachers work so hard to help a kid succeed. If they didn’t like their work, it would be far easier to do something else.

2. local shopper says:

Please give examples of actual examples of bullying that have occurred. But in answer to your question: 1) Double check the story your child gives you against what the teacher’s side of the story is. 2)Go into the school and ask to sit in the classroom for an hour or two. If you are employed outside of the home, ask for the time off. If you need to take a few hours pay or need to have someone watch your small children who are still at home, I’m sure it would be well worth your time. 3)If you are still not happy, home school your child. I am not trying to be smart here. “If you can’t change the situation, change yourself”

• An Idea says:

Maybe we should all home school our kids!!! Just think of how much money we would save in taxes!!! No teachers to pay, and no fancy buildings to pay for.

If we all home schooled, there would be a lot of jobs opening up, for men to work, while the SAHM taught the kids. Or, as neighbors of mine in Colorado did, Mom went to work, kids were supposed to be working on home schooling work, and they ran the streets in town all day long.

• 51234 says:

Thats about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Your children need the social environment to thrive and grow in life.

• Jim says:

First of all, if everyone homeschooled their kids, millions of jobs would be lost in America. I think that would outweigh the gain of paying less taxes.
        Second of all, if everyone home schooled their kids, that means some would end up being taught by idiots that don’t know anything. What great adults we would have in 5-15 years!

Your idea is awful.

3. mom :) says:

If you have concerns for your child in school- get involved!! The win win here is that you will be aware of what is going on in school and what a positive experience for your child to see you interested in an important part of their life. Knowing what is going on in school gives you a common ground to talk about as well. I enjoy the opportunity to sub at the Sheldon Schools where my children attend but it doesn’t matter what school your family is affiliated with- get involved any way that you can and share your talents/thoughts. We have dedicated teachers who care about the students and go that extra mile to make the experience for students something that they will remember weather it be going to school early or staying after to help with studies, coaching for the arts or sports, chaperoning, etc. I believe that by getting involved with the schools we are investing in our children more than money can buy. Bullying should not be tolerated anywhere- schools and home united we can make a difference.

4. Susan says:

I have seen this happen myself. When my grandson was in the — grade he was constantly bringing home negatives remarks from his teacher. She was saying he would not listen, he would speak when he was to be quiet etc etc. I wanted to see for myself what was going on. I went to —— and stood outside his classroom. The teacher did not know I was there. I watched through the large glass windows for some time. I watched my grandson interact with the teacher. It was then I watched her with a scowl look on her face as he was walking back to his desk. She was just staring him down really. There were 2 other students she was working with at the time. I felt this was very unprofessional for her too because those 2 kids didn’t have any idea why she was looking mad. Neither my grandson or the teacher knew I was coming there that day. I went into the classroom after around 30 minutes of observing then and the teacher immediately changed her “look” and attitude the rest of the afternoon I was there. I witnessed other kids do the things she claimed my grandson was always doing, but she never confronted them with me in there. I lost alot of respect for her as a teacher and thankful when he was done with — grade. So I believe he was “bullied” or was a “target” by the teacher.

• Charlie says:

1. Don’t lurk around observing, go inside the room and help out. It’s called volunteering and most teachers welcome the help with reading to kids, etc. 2. Help your kids out in their home with raising your grandkids if you are that concerned with their education. Do you expect your kids will learn everything between 8:30 and 3:30? And 3. Isn’t it funny how nowadays the first finger is pointed at he teacher? It couldn’t possibly be the child? Maybe if the teacher was helping two other students, maybe your grandchild was interrupting? Maybe the alleged ‘look’ your grandchild received was because it was the 4th time he/she interrupted that morning. It’s called following instructions–something most teachers HOPE students bring with them from their family life. Although you we’re “observing” for 30 minutes, MAYBE you don’t know the whole story either.

• Ken says:

1. You’re not getting the point. If she did not observe undetected results would be skewed.
        2. She did help by listening and observing a problem at home, then took the initiative to find out the truth.
        3. Maybe she doesn’t know the whole story. She knows enough of it, 30 minutes is more than enough time to get a “feel” on if there is ainexcusablele disliking. She should’ve maybe observed more than just one day though.

• Ashshade says:

Charlie, teachers are human. Humans can abuse power that is given to them.

I have been on the receiving end of a bad teacher, it’s not fun. It’s a punch in the gut, you think they are going to look out for you, but they turn around and stab you in the back. I’ve even had a principal do it.

Teachers are like cops, most are good but a few bad ones make the whole bunch stink.

• Zoe says:

Anyone ever have a bad teacher in Catholic School?

St. Pat’s here in town is a good school. I don’t think there are any sisters left at St. Pat’s. I used to live next door to Sister Ann and she was very nice.

I have also known some very nice priests. When there are child molesters in public schools, nobody rates all teachers as molesters in schools. Its the same with Catholic Priests. There are a few bad ones that have given them all a bad name. If Rome hadn’t been so determined to cover it all up, and just moved the priest around to hush everyone up, and it all came to the light of day, it would have ended a whole lot sooner than it did. But we aren’t here to debate about the priests. I think a Parochial school education is a good as any Christian school. They just have regular teachers now, the sisters are all either retired or have gone on missions into South America and Africa.

5. Juie says:

Zoe- do you really want to go to the whole Catholic school route? the abuse by priests and such?

• proud Catholic says:

Julie,
      Zoe asked about teachers, not priests. With the evergrowing shortage of priests, most of them no longer teach classes in Catholic schools, but only say mass and visit classrooms if there is one on staff for a Cathoic school. Catholic schools are like any other schools, they have exceptional staff members and staff members who need more guidance.
      It is sad that a handful of priests have been abusive towards children. However, most of them are men who truly care about the families they serve.
      I suggest that you not make blanket statements about priests, especially if you are not a practicing Catholic.

• Window says:

Juie- I don’t think you understand or have come in contact with a Catholic school environment. If you have, then you wouldn’t say something as ridiculous as this. The Vatican has worked to resolve the priest abuse scandals, and if you don’t think the way they handled it was to YOUR standards, then why don’t you just fly on over to Rome and fix it yourself. I’m absolutely positive they’d listen to you. Think before you write.

• local shopper says:

Juie, Zoe did not mention priests in her post. With the shortage of priests these days, priests have little to no contact with children in schools these days. The priest usually says mass and occasionaly teaches in the classroom with the regular teacher present.
      Catholic school teachers are just like teachers in public or other private schools. There are exceptional ones and ones who need mentoring.
      I am guessing that you are not Catholic and have not been part of a Catholic school system. I have. If I am correct in my guess, it would be good of you not to make such insinuating blanket statements based on what the media reports.
      It is sad that a handful of priests have abused children, but the majority do truly care about the families they serve.

• An Idea says:

if you really want to go that route I would like to see the stats on any preacher or religious organization id bet on a catholic priest any day. I dont know how this was brought up but this is nonsence, has nothing to do with the topic of this editorial. Ive seen teachers bully kids and the kids went to the principal and the kids were made out to be wrong. I think its all about who you are and where you are from. If every kid was treated the same this wouldnt happen and it starts from the top!!!!

6. Murray says:

My daughter had a conflict with a grade school teacher. The biggest problem was that the subject she taught included a lot of assignments that were graded on creativity. Since she didn’t like my daughter, guess who always got a bad grade. Talk about a power trip.

• advocate says:

Always the teachers fault… i suppose it was the teachers’ fault for the elementary kid(s) who vandalized the restroom at …. . you’d think a K-4 child wouldnt have heard, let alone know how to write that kind of vulgar graffiti. Point being, student/parent have to be responsible enough to take some of the responsibility. ‘Nuf said.

• Murray says:

Considering she has always been a straight A student and got A’s on the assignments that weren’t open to this teacher’s opinion, I would say yes, it was the teachers fault and she was being a bully. And yes, some kids are vandals, but that is not the point here.

• advocate says:

Wow. A bully for grading a child’s work? I thought grading was part of the job description for a teacher? And shouldnt the teacher give the grade that the student deserves? Just because a student gets straight A’s, that does not mean the next assignment will result in a A. Tell your daughter not to feel bad about this one grade–use it as incentive to challenge her to do a better job next time and the time after that. And vandalism is part of the point–the point being respect. ‘Nuf said again.

• An Idea says:

Maybe if the teachers treated all the kids the same there wouldnt be any vandolism!! Maybe thats why they rebelled?

7. Sunshine says:

Most teachers do not treat all children equally. It depends on your last name & how well you do in sports. Sad, but true.

8. 51234 says:

Seems like there are alot of “teachers” in this thread- or people that think they are one. Maybe those of you that are pointing your fingers at teachers as being bad, you should go back to school and become one. Being a teacher is not easy.

• The way it is says:

If I came to work and didn’t do my job my boss would fire me not protect me. I guess what do you expect when its tax payers money!!

9. The way it is says:

And another thing is any job easy job easy

10. Summer says:

No one said being a teacher was easy. If we wanted to go to school to be one, we would. The fact of the matter is that MOST teachers, including principles, coaches, etc. do a lot of favoritism & that is what sucks. I don’t believe they were trained to teach certain children by how well they do in sports & go by their last name, how much $ they have, & the kind of clothes they wear. It is true and I really appreciate the people who treat everyone equally. After all, God says everyone is equal.

• Calling Summer Out says:

Whenever someone says, “the fact is…” one of my instructors in school would always say, “please show me your sources.” So Summer, show us your sources on “MOST teachers, principles, coaches, etc. do a lot of favoritism”. Waiting…

11. Summer says:

Sources? They are everywhere? duh. I have lived it myself. I have worked in the environment my self. I have seen the children being treated unequal. I have friends for teachers. I have children who have lived it. So Sorry you didn’t call me out. :)

• Spring says:

I think the point was where did you get your FACTS? What you are stating is simply your one-sided OPINION, which is totally fine to do no matter how wrong it is.

12. Mom of 3 says:

There isn’t a teacher on earth that treats each and every kid the exact same because each and every kid is different. Parents don’t treat their kids exactly the same either. If you think you treat your kids exactly the same you are lying to yourself. I had a kindergarten teacher tell me that she just didn’t click with my kid and my kid didn’t click with her so we talked it over and both decided it was in the best interest of my child to switch to a different classroom. I appreciated that teacher’s honesty and her ability to help resolve the issue. Maybe a little honesty on the part of the parent and the teacher is in order for these people who think their child is being bullied.

13. Summer says:

NO it is not my one sided opinion. Its a fact. That’s just how it is. Everyone has seen it.
    Mom of 3, You have to love honest teachers like that! You were fortunate!

• Spring says:

Mom of 3, I respect you for going to your child’s teacher and talking with her and working to a solution. It is amazing what can happen when parents and teachers work together–just wish more parents were like you and took the time to do that versus crying foul every time someone looks cross eyed at their kid. And Summer, it really is just your OPINION.