Costas’ remarks on gun control

Date posted - December 4, 2012

Yesterday Bob Costas, a sports announcer for I believe NBC, waged a personal war against all gun owners and those with Concealed Carry Weapons (CCW) permits.

Saying, following a tragic and senseless murder of a young woman by her football star boyfriend, that all guns and handguns and owners of them should be banned. Mr. Costas, he used the gun himself to commit the crime, the gun did not do it on its own. It is people that kill with guns, not guns that kill. It is tragedy no doubt. However, there many examples of situations where people with CCW permit stopped further killings. I can site many if one likes.

National surveys of police street officers are rare, but the show overwelmingly in favor of law abiding citizens owning and carrying guns. Mayor blomberg is a huge opponent for gun ban, complete gun ban. He claims guns kill 34 citizens every day. What he doesn’t tell you is that every day 2191 law abiding gun owning citizens use a gun in self defense every day.

Mr Costas, remember our 2nd Amendment…..the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

“[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.” — Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775 – Thomas Paine

Signed,

Tim

27 Responses to “Costas’ remarks on gun control”

1. JM says:

If a person drinks and drives and has an accident that takes the life of another human being is it the fault/repsonsibility of the automobile manufacturer? Of course not!!! It is the irresponsible CHOICE/DECISION of the owner of that car. Same goes for guns, they don’t kill people without the poor decision/choice of a human being to pull the trigger!

2. Chuck says:

Guns are not the problem. People are the problem. Most people who carry are responsible. It’s the one idiot every once in awhile that gives us all a bad name.

3. Rainbow says:

It’s not the guns that kill, it is the mental state of those who commit crimes with guns, that kill. Maybe news media should not glorify crimes with constant reports, report crime and leave it at that. I think that focus on bad deeds makes many people who have problems be more likely to commit a crime for the media attention. We also should consider the type of entertainment and video games as a factor in some of these criminals behavior. Many of thses games and programs are very violent. Protecting our gun rights is a must.Removing our gun rights from honest citizens does not remove guns from criminals or a person with criminal intent. It will in the end only create problems that other countries with citizen gun rights removed, criminals and bad law enforcement will control your life.

4. Freeman says:

I didn’t hear a discusion about knife control after OJ killed Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman.

5. jay miller says:

costa must be a liberal,its the guy behind the gun be like saying ban cars and we wont have drunk drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Pepperjack Stickman says:

How ironic: People with weapons are protecting Bob’s right to free speech and to his right to move freely about the country.

7. virgil says:

I think it was Mr. Costa’s who is the blame for this tragedy. It was he and all the media who pushed a young man to places and things he could not handle as a person maybe to young to deal with the pressure of the NFL or any other sport that expects perfection at all cost.

I am a lifelong gun owner and target shooter. I certainly do not want to take anybody’s 2nd amendment rights away. However, I do object to the 31 bullet clip that guy had when Gabby Gifford was shot. If he had even 10 bullets, he would have been stopped when he tried to reload. the guy in Aurora had a 100 bullet clip. These are definitely not hunting weapons. I would like some regulation on the availability of these clips with many many bullets in them. if the guy in Aurora had a regular rifle, he would have had to reload after just a few bullets. lots of people would have been saved.

I realize that the gun is not the killer. I love to target shoot. My kids were raised around guns, their father was a cop. but I would like to see some regulation or some care taken to sell these assault rifles and clips to the average citizen.

• Tim says:

Lee Ann:
      I too am a life long gun owner, I am not sure about the assault weapons, they do give me some mixed signals. However, where do the rules and regs stop from the gov’t? At what point do you say a 10 ammo clip will not do the same damage as a 100? I agree, more bullets, maybe more damage. I do believe that great care is allready taken in who may purchase a gun and own a gun. I still feel that if one of these idiots wants a gun to do harm, no amount of federal, state or national law will stop them. Except, perhaps arming the law abiding citizens for our own self defense.
      Bob Costas again tonight says he stands by his statement that people should not be allowed to have a CCW permit. He also gave some very erronious facts about people owning a hand gun and with a CCW permit, have not stopped a crime against people or property. Not so Mr. Costas:

• 2A Defender says:

Lee Ann, there are a couple of facts for which one had to dig in the two scenarios that you describe.

In the Tucson incident, it is true that the shooter had a 30-round capacity magazine (not a clip, sorry) for his handgun. The fact that was absent from most of the news coverage (probably because it didn’t further the media outlets’ agenda) was that it was precisely that 30-round magazine that allowed the situation to be ended. You see, the lady who wrestled the gun away from the attacker was only able to do so because the shooter was using the extended capacity magazine, a magazine that extended well below the gun’s grip, allowing her something to grab hold of to take control of the firearm. In this case, a smaller capacity weapon might well have contributed to more carnage, not less.

In the case of the Colorado theater shooter, the 100 round capacity magazine (again, not a clip…..there is a difference) played NO role in the body count. Buried deeply in the news coverage was the information that the gun with the 100 round magazine had jammed after only a few shots being fired, and well before the capacity of a “normal” magazine would have been reached. The fact is that most of the carnage in this incident was caused after the shooter abandoned the rifle and started firing his shotgun. Not to mention that, based upon the state of the attacker’s apartment, he would have been well able to unleash carnage on that theater with no firearms of any kind.

All that notwithstanding, what makes 10 rounds the magic number for suitable magazine capacity? I have a problem with any arbitrary number that politicians or anti-gun activists might come up with.

The bottom line is this: The 2nd amendment doesn’t say that “the right of the people to keep and bare arms that have a magazine capacity of no more than ten rounds shall not be infringed.”

The 2nd amendment was written when all men have a musket in their home. They used this musket for hunting, and when necessary to protect their new country from the British. Even ten bullets in a magazine (sorry, I’m just a girl, lol) he would have had to stop for several seconds to get the other magazine out.

I agree that who gets to pick the random number of bullets a rifle should be able to carry is an unknown. My preference is to have rifles and revolvers and automatic pistols that would be for hunting and home defense, the only ones needing an automatic rifle would be Mexican banditos on the border.

My ex was a cop in a major city. I never had a CCW permit. When I had to drive after midnight to pick him up at work, he would tell me, “Get the .38 in its holster. and put it right next to you in the front seat. If a cop pulls you over, tell him “I have a revolver here for protection.” that’s legal in Colorado. as long as its not concealed.

• Tim says:

Lee Ann

My question for you, would you do that today? Would you driving thru a major city, lay your .38 next to you on the seat? If not, what makes you feel safer today than when you did? The other thing, without obtaining your CCW permit, going thru the courses, and background checks, getting your fingerprints taken, getting the sheriffs office or other CCW application to approve you, you would probably be arrested and go to jail for carring a loaded .38 next to you on your seat.

The other point you make, yes the 2nd amendment was written when people used their gun for hunting. However it was also put into our constitution as our right, because our founding fathers knew we had a wide open sometimes lawless country, and people needed to defend themselves. As fragile as the gov’t was, it was also put there to protect citizens against invasion, whether it was from another country or the guy living down the street that was not so law abiding, or for protection from rebellions within our own country. Now, having said that, look at our society today…besides the need for hunting for food, what seems different?

I would drive through Colorado Springs with a loaded .38 beside me, because it is still legal today. You can walk through downtown C.S. with a revolver or automatic on your hip, as long as it is not concealed. I have gone through the rigamarole to get a carry gun, because I was a colorado Department of Corrections person. but I chose not to get a CC permit because I felt I didn’t need to carry anything concealed.

I don’t question anybody’s right to own firearms. I don’t own any, but I was a pretty good shot with a 30.06 in the past.

What seems different now than in the past? 1. states are cutting their mental illness health budget, making someone having issues wait months for an appt. 2. People moving all over, farther from family to keep an eye on their mental health, 3. The Drugs, the gangs, and the border problems.

9. kent says:

If every one was armed and trained for their use the crime rate would go down. In Chicago guns are ban, they have a much higher crime. Being armed is a personal choice.I don’t like it when celeberties think because they are famous any one cares about their veiws. Costos gets paid the talk about sports not guns. I think he should be reprimanded. Being employed by NBC there is no chance he would ever get fired. One of our biggest problems is the the bias media in this country. It will be our downfall if we allow it. After the election it is a very different country. Be ready for the same problems Greece is experiencing.

Unless people are trained and practiced, having a gun around is pure folly. People think they are safe with a loaded revolver in the house, yet they have children in the house, the revolver is loaded, and without good practice, more than likely, the victim will be a victim of violence with his own weapon, unless he really knows what he’s doing. The majority of guns used in crimes, especially house kick ins when people are home, are usually guns found in other homes.
    I have a friend that carried a small Llama 380 in her purse. Well, in Detroit, on vacation, somebody snatched her purse. Cops I know have put their off duty pistol in their glove box of their car, and had someone break into their car.

If I lived in a big city, I may own a revolver (.357, my gun of choice) But I have no children around, and I would have my bullets at least 11 seconds away from my revolver. So I could wake up enough before loading. Just my .02

• Ashshade says:

11 seconds away?

Are you going to run out to the garage to get to your ammo so you can fumble around with it trying to load a revolver?

You want to carry a gun but not with a CC permit?

If something covers the gun, on your seat or on your hip it is concealed and you are breaking the law. If unloaded, 11 seconds away, your ok. But why carry then?

• Tim says:

Lee Ann:
      First where did you find those statistics about, “The majority of guns used in crimes, especially house kick ins when people are home, are usually guns found in other homes.” I would like to know where you found them.
      Second, if you take the proper classes to get your CCW permits, you would know that you have a “duty and responsibility” to lock your guns up in your home, when you don’t carry, so that those not responsible enough (whether children or adults) to use them cannot get at them.
      Third, if you take the training, you will know that 11 seconds down time, will more than likely make you a victim. Do you know how long it takes a perp to go 20 ft at you? That is why CCW permit holders go to the gun range and practise.
      BTW, it is against the law to have your “.357″ on the front seat of your car or anywhere in your car, loaded or unloaded, if you do not have a CCW permit. In states that do not honor CCW permits, there legally you need it locked in a case. A CCW permit stands for a: Concealed, where nobody knows you have it, like a purse or pocket. b: Carry, even out in the open on your hip, waist band, shoulder holster, front seat, in plain view.
      If you carry a weapon, I suggest you be very sure you secure it properly, in your home, car, or on your person. It is YOUR resposibility for the safe handling of your weapon.

• Tim says:

LeeAnn:
      I hope you realize that it IS a class 2 misdemeaner in Colorado if you carry a concealed weapon (knife or firearm) on your person without a permit. In Colorado concealed carry is different than open carry. It gets tricky there. I think Colorado has some interesting laws to follow. So just check them very carefully. (18-12-105 Colorado Law pertaining to this)

It is perfectly legal to walk down the street in Colorado Springs with a revolver in a holster on your hip. Deer hunters go everywhere with an orange vest and a revolver in a holster. I happen to know its legal to have a gun in your car in plain sight as you drive.

as for the 11 second law, it allows you enough time to wake up before you shoot a family member. if you have a gun close enough that you can pick it up and shoot in your bedroom, it is too close. The great majority of shootings in the home do not involve a breakin. Most burglars are scared to be seen, a real door kick in usually (but not always) involve some drug scene.

My Dad had a 38 S&W between the mattress and box springs. I told him, with his hearing aide out, what happens if we call the cops to check your safety, becasue we haven’t heard from you? A cop comes in the door banging and making a racket, and you pull the gun and shoot the cop ?

• Tim says:

LeAnn:
          Colorado code: 18-12-105. ‘Unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon – unlawful possession of weapons’.
          States that it is unlawful to carry concealed without a CCW permit. You can have one in your vehichle, on the seat in plain site, but you cannot have a weapon in your car (unless secured properly) in the glove box, under the seat, or someplace else concealed. You will need a CCW permit for that. Now Colorado Springs may have a special city ordinance that allows something different, that I don’t know, but I doubt it woudl supercede the state law regarding CCW.

My poiint in all this, is simple. Before you travel to another state, or even thru another state. Check the laws of that state carefully. I had a gentleman last night as we were talking, thought he could carry his weapon into MN if he had an Iowa CCW, you cannot. Nor can you in Kansas, with an Iowa CCW. Know the laws. Even then have a good attorney available.

As far as having someone own a gun in his or her home that cannot responsibly handle it, I strongly disagree.

11. Mary says:

Switzerland has the lowest gun crime rate of ANY country. Each household is issued and trained in using a hand gun by the government. Additionally, a criminal does not follow laws. No matter how many bullets a magazine holds, the criminal will break the law. The true disgust should be with the Chiefs and the NFL holding a moment of silence for a murderer and abuser!

12. Tim says:

I apologize to Wayne and staff if I am not allowed to put another persons view point on here, but he says it so well:

We live in a nation torn between conflicting ideals. Thankfully, there are principles that the United States was founded on that remain constant in our society today, but there are also generational values that change over time. Some for the better, and some for the worse of our society…
    I could go on a rant about my personal views compared to the views of those who disagree with me on certain issues, but I won’t. There is, however, one issue that I do want to talk about: Responsibility.
    Our society is divided over the topic. There are those who accept personal responsibility, there are those who don’t, and there are countless people in between who argue why others should look at personal and social responsibility from their perspective.
    This is not meant to be a commentary about people “living off of the system” and not contributing to society. I realize that there are people who genuinely need help in our communities, and I believe it’s noble to help those who are in need (especially around the holiday season). What I’m talking about is the unthinkable idea that someone else is responsible for you and your actions.
    When I began carrying concealed, it became clear to me that I was taking my personal responsibility to a new level. By becoming a more knowledgeable, responsibly armed American, I was not simply just better protecting and valuing my own life. I was also taking on a greater responsibility as a leader and servant in my community.
    True responsibility is not just self-preservation. When people like you and me step up and shoulder greater responsibility, the affects on the people around us can be life-changing. Carrying concealed not only protects the person who responsibly carries, but collectively, it offers protection and safety to their entire community.
    I vividly remember when I began to ask myself these tough kinds of questions: Have I taken my personal responsibility as seriously as I should? Have I invested my time and resources in ways that will further my education and protection? Have I done everything I can to prepare myself in every way I need to be?
    To be honest, when I first asked these questions, some of the answers were “maybe” or “no.” That’s when I rose to the challenge and decided to take action.
    If you can relate to what I’m saying, then I want to encourage you to begin pursuing personal responsibility at a higher level today. Noah didn’t build the Ark the day it started raining, and I would encourage you to not wait until the eleventh hour to prepare yourself either.
    My sincerest hope for myself, you, and every responsibly armed American is that we will be prepared, and educated long before any of us ever need to be. There is no regret for those who are prepared to the best of their ability.

Take care and stay safe,

Tim Schmidt
    Publisher – Concealed Carry Report
    USCCA Founder

• Ashshade says:

Are you trying to say we should all hand our guns in? All 270 million of them? That are owned by a majority of the population?

Why do you want to start a civil war?

• Tim says:

Is the author of this article refering to the round wheel behind the 4 ft piece of glass which a person sits in a seat and controls a 4000 pound piece of metel that contains 20 gallons of explosives and kills over 40,000 americans men, women and children every year?… Does he want to ban them? OH MY. Oh, but lets see, you need a permit to drive that. Lets take that right away also.

13. Tim says:

a very interesting quote:

ARISTOTLE
    “Both Oligarch and Tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms.” (Politics, Aristotle p. 218)