Need To Fix The System…

Date posted - December 7, 2012

At what point in time did being a Public Servant that was elected by the voting public, become self employed, establishing their own wages, insurance, retirement, vacation, and right out show disregard to their “bosses”(taxpayers)? If my boss tells me to do something, I have 2 choices; 1) do it, or 2) find a new job.

I think the American Public has not spoken loud enough for our Congress and Senate to hear us. Based on their performance, they do not deserve a raise. They should not have their own retirement plan. They should pay into Social Security and get in line for benefits. Insurance? Why do I have to pay for their insurance and retirement? They should either pay for their own or get in line for Medicare.

With all of the jobs leaving this country, due to tax loopholes put in place, it isn’t rocket science to figure out that if people here aren’t working, they aren’t paying taxes. And, if people who are working here “illegally” keep sending money out of the country, that money will never return. Has anyone ever heard of the “9 Stages of a Civilization”? Google it. The writing is on the wall.

We are between 7 and 8 right now.

Signed,

I.M. Disgusted

22 Responses to “Need To Fix The System…”

1. Red says:

Absolutely agree with you!

I agree also. they should immediately put all of their retirement money into social security, and they could collect at 66, just like all of us. they are going to be using the ACA health care system, so that will change their entitlement there.

I used to like John McCain, although I don’t generally like the far right politicians. In 2008, when he was running for President, an interviewer asked him, ” If 68% of the population is FOR this certain law, why do you vote against it?” His answer was telling, he said, “I don’t care what the people want, I know what they need. And that is what I am going to do.” (pass out the pacifiers everyone)

At a time when Congress is about as popular as North Korea, its time the American people start standing up. We’ve tended to be a bit lazy around here, because its been good. until lately. Its time we took back our control of our legislators. I would like to see a web site where every Congressional law is posted, and who voted for it, and they could even say why they voted that way. And we could become a member and post back to our legislators . They could even ask for % pro and con for popular bills coming due. Something, anything to take back the people’s control of our legislators.

3. Tim says:

Very interesting article. And very accurate. When will we ever hold those in power, accountable for their actions, against society. When will we (citizens)
    realize just what our gov’t is capable of. Our gov’t has an abundant amount of power that we as ‘normal’ citizens really can’t comprehend. I wonder if we are even safe on here as we write. Someone is watching everything we do. The eighth stage according to the article, is civilization expecting gov’t to support them.
    Guess what….we are there. 47 % of all people (notice I did not say citizens) in the US already get support entitlements of some sort. Some are warrented, others are just plain give-aways.
    Each and every citizens should go out and get themselves a pocket size copy of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the Unites States of America. Read it understand it, then read it again, and voice your opinion to those in our gov’t that seem to think they are old outdated documents. This is YOUR country. Not those in power, as the original writer of this op ed stated.

4. Hank Reardon says:

You know we are in trouble when Pravda says the US voters are illiterate for voting in a Communist.

“Recently, Obama has been re-elected for a 2nd term by an illiterate society and he is ready to continue his lies of less taxes while he raises them. He gives speeches of peace and love in the world while he promotes wars as he did in Egypt, Libya and Syria. He plans his next war is with Iran as he fires or demotes his generals who get in the way.”

“Well, any normal individual understands that as true but liberalism is a psychosis . O’bomber even keeps the war going along the Mexican border with projects like “fast and furious” and there is still no sign of ending it. He is a Communist without question promoting the Communist Manifesto without calling it so. How shrewd he is in America. His cult of personality mesmerizes those who cannot go beyond their ignorance. They will continue to follow him like those fools who still praise Lenin and Stalin in Russia. Obama’s fools and Stalin’s fools share the same drink of illusion.”

Less than 50%, fair use applies.

I fear it will only get worse, and there is little or no hope to turn things around this time.

I voted for Obama and i am pleased that he won a second term with over 51% of the vote. Just because you disagree with a person, does not mean you are right all the time. there are many views in this country and we all want the same thing–to make our country the best we can, and we just have different ways of doing it. Just because I don’t agree with your viewpoint, does not mean I should be able to insult you. I agree that we all want what is best for our country. We are all proud Americans. We just have a different angle on how to get there. I don’t think Pravda is a good example of journalism. How about we quit insulting people and try to work together to improve things? We all love this country. Remember when McCain was talking to that woman who was afraid of Obama because he could be a Muslim? And McCain said, “No ma’am. He is a good honest family man that just has a few viewpoints I disagree on.”
      I am not coming in here to complain about the filibustering and the obstruction in Congress. We need good ideas on how to fix things. I think Sheldon should look into buying a few wind towers so we can own our own electric, like that school district up near Spirit Lake. We could run this entire town on cheap electricity , with grants and funds, and even state help. Then we’d own it forever. Nobody is going to take away the wind.

• willy Pedro says:

LEGAL votes????

• Lon Holz says:

You may want to check into the real cost of wind power before you vote on that idea!

There are supposed to be funds and grants to help with the costs. Spirit Lake got one originally for their school district, didn’t they? Now there are hundreds of them all over in that area.

If we could get enough grants and funds for energy efficiency, etc. it might be worthwhile. Just a thought, but I am willing to bet there are all kinds of grants for that.

• Tim says:

Lee Ann:

Please don’t take this the wrong way, this is nothing personal, but after reading your comment about we should just get a grant for all these windmills, and your thinking that there are grants in abundance, I need to ask:
            Where does that FREE grant come from? Our country is on the edge of bankruptcy, yet, there are so many people with the same thinking you just displayed. “Oh, the gov’t can just give us a grant” Our gov’t doesn’t have the ability to dish out grants any more. I think there was a candidate for pres that said something to the effect that 47% of all people in the USA get something in someway from the gov’t. Guess what, it has to stop. Some gov’t programs are ligit, but, some are just that, giveways. That means free “grants” (that if you think about it are not free) just need to stop. This kind of thinking that we just ask the gov’t for something or feel “entitled” to it, will ultimately bring this great country down.

Tim, I hit myself for a reply because you didn’t have a reply button.

While I realize that the country is having difficulty (to put it mildly), they are trying to encourage energy independence and the subsidies and grants are for that very reason, they want a wind tower grid to bring the electricity generated to the big cities, an idea about as big as Eisenhower’s interstate projects. To encourage energy independence, they are applying subsidies and grants to encourage people and to bring the price into a more normal amount. Kinda like when people were getting a tax break for buying a Prius several years ago. Spirit lake school district put the first wind tower out here. So obviously it can’t be totally out of the question. Now Spirit Lake has free elec. It would also bring new people into town because of the industry and the cheap utilities we could have. The whole town could go to electricity instead of gas and elec. Its just a thought. There are quite a few towns in the Midwest that have done this. So obviously it cannot be completely out of the question.

• Doug says:

When you get a chance, please pass along all of Obama’s accomplishments to us poor blind people, because I’m not seeing it. It’s great we have a democracy, where everyone can vote. But the problem is, the majority don’t have a clue. Many voted racially. Many more, voted selfishly to continue their free handouts. History will show, the majority did NOT vote for the good of this country. I just hope by the end of this term, he will man-up and be done blaming everyone else for his total ineptness. Bush left the buidling 4 years ago, and he is still playing that card. While I type, his wife’s attempt at healthy eating, is going down in history as a failure. They are in, way over their heads.

• Hank Reardon says:

Qoutation marks denote that it came from a source other than myself. The passages that you felt were insulting were not mine, and were from the Pravda article. I feel that it is important to listen to the point of view of a people who were under the boot of Communism for 70 years and are now warning us of what they perceive to be happening here.

• Jon says:

Literacy might be a problem in the US, Hank, but I think even more damaging to this country is a lack of discerning critical thinking skills among a populace who is bombarded by an immense amount of information, a good deal of which comes in the form of opinionated columnists and pundits who throw around words like “communist” and “socialist” and even “nazi” whenever it suits their cause but without any real connection to the meanings and application of the terms. They become nothing more than meaningless pejoratives disassociated from their historical implications and their real definitions except as they are convenient to instill fear and distrust. The sweeping generalizations of the article you cite as an “example” are really part of the problem, not part of the solution. If we cannot be a discerning, trusting people who can make real arguments and have real discussions that are productive rather than insulting and petty name-calling, then we are really in for a terrible and fearful future.

• Hank Reardon says:

I cited that article as it came from Russia, who had to put up with Communism in the form of the Soviet Union for about 70 years or so. I think their perspective carries some weight as they have been through, and now warn against the evils of Communism. Who better to listen to than a people who have born the brunt of Communism, and now warn that we are on the same path.

I thought that the readers could discern that it was from Pravda and not a piece by Charles Krauthammer or Bill O’Reilly.

• Jon says:

Yes, Hank, and when you click on the link you provided, you are instantly brought to the source article, which can be easily read in its entirety. Trust me, I am intimately familiar with academic rigor and researching process. You are assuming that if I use the word “pundit” that I am referring to someone like Bill O’Reilly. However, you must also understand that people in other countries are also capable of the same type of hyperbolic language. The rhetorical language of the author and the “evidence” he uses to construct his argument betray a bias that permeates his thinking so thoroughly that it lacks any sense of objective truth and undermines its credibility as anything other than a fluff opinion piece. In nearly every way, the article reads exactly the same as the tripe pushed out by opinion pundits in the US, which is the reason why I used the word “pundit.” I’m sorry if you were confused by the use of the term in the previous post.

• Hank Reardon says:

I see what you did there, Jon. Very subtle, but very obvious.

• Ryan says:

Debate doesn’t require “large” words. Short argument tends to be more potent. I’ve read your arguments and found your response to be pompous. Yes, you’re educated. I’ve obtained a degree myself. Working on a second. NOBODY CARES! The bottom line is that Communism is EVIL. It prevents the citizen from obtaining Liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I believe Mr. Reardon was expressing concerned. Citizens should be concerned; regardless of who’s in office.

• Jon says:

You’re right Ryan. We don’t need big words, but we do need correct definitions of the terms we throw around, and we need to be wary of conspiracy theories wherever they exist. Obama is not a communist and we are in little to no danger to becoming communist just as we were in little to not danger of becoming communist in the 1950s. Can we please move past this ridiculous argument. Absurdity is absurdity…no big words needed.

• Doug says:

When he stops hiding his past, and lying about the present, we can get past this.

• Ryan says:

You are probably correct in your assumption that he’s not a Communist. This doesn’t change anything. A Citizen practicing caution is prepared. Perhaps you should read my last comment again. “Citizens should be concerned; regardless of who’s in office.” Caution isn’t absurd. Sticking your head in the sand and hoping nothing bad happends is absurd.

• Ryan says:

OK, I read your comment again. SERIOUSLY? The U.S. wasn’t threatened by Communism in the 1950s? The KGB (now the FSB) has declassified documents that prove you wrong. The previously classified documents aren’t opinionated. The War Saw Pact wanted to conquer Western Europe. If they’d succeeded why would they stop at Europe? I like you have opinions. I believe Americans are poor at visualizing the 2nd and 3rd order effects of the decisions made by our global leaders. If the Soviets had succeeded, the Domino Theory would’ve become more than just a hunch.