Thoughts In The Wake Of The CT Shooting

Date posted - December 26, 2012

I just can’t shake the sadness I feel for the families that lost their children in the CT shooting!

It scares me to no end to think that every day that my children leave for school, it may be the last time I see them. I have always been after my children that you always say “I love you” when we part for anything, because you never know if that is the last time you are going to be able to say it. I know there is a lot of disputes over gun control right now, but as for me, I would be fine….better than fine, with the idea of a gun being kept in a school with only a select few knowing where it is & how to get their hands on it fast if need be.

Satan is real and he is in the minds of some people and makes them do horrific things like this. We need to be able to teach our children more about God in the school systems so that they turn to FAITH in times when they are hurting, confused or angered instead of turning to a gun!

Signed,

Darnell Clark

39 Responses to “Thoughts In The Wake Of The CT Shooting”

1. mr says:

You never know when it will be the last time you see a loved one. That is why when I leave for work in the morning and my wife is still sleeping I give her a kiss on the cheek and tell her I love her and good-bye. We do not know God’s plan and do not know when he will call us, but do know we all have to go sometime. With that even though it is sad, I hope we don’t over-react on solutions. With the talk of gaurds at every school is not the answer. If the school is in a high crime area is one thing, but every school is rediculous. We aren’t putting gaurds at every movie theater or mall. Gun control, well I don’t see the need for assult rifles being available to the public or large magazine clips. But I don’t know if this is the solution either because their are people that own them and they aren’t going out and shooting a bunch of people.
    I don’t want to start preaching but I feel it is the lenient society that we have become. Some parents don’t talk to their children enough to find out if there is a problem. With the technology today of texting, facebook, and others they don’t talk enough anymore. To many don’t sit down to family meal to pray and talk together, everybody is to busy. The shows on TV and some of the games that are available don’t help either. What happened to the rating systems and waiting till 9 PM for non appropriate programing. I’m not saying the Ozzie and Harriet families didn’t have problems, but the problems were talked out and reasoned out. Right and wrong were expressed. Values were shown and that is something is very lax anymore. There has always been turmoil in the world and the big thing that seems to be forgotten by many is that through God and prayer we can move on! We do not need man to over regulate us. God controls.

2. Chicken Strips says:

Or their parents could just do a better job raising children.

• pev says:

I do not believe that the parents are totally responsible for the actions of their children. You can raise a child in the best of enviroment, schools, and churches. Teach them the values and “ways of the world”, hope that when they become adults, that they remember those, and move on to be funtioning members of society. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS.

• Chicken Strips says:

Of course he’s responsible. I didn’t blame the parents one bit. I’ve said many times on this website “PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY”. The writer is saying schools need to teach God; this person was 20 years old. Wasn’t very smart of the mother to have these weapons in her home either. My response was in regards to raising children (raising takes place AT HOME, not all at school), not in regards to this murderer.

• Tim says:

I could not find your reference of the writer saying “schools need to teach God”. I disagree with your statement that “Wasn’t very smart of the mother to have these weapons in her home either” one of her MISTAKE’s was not to secure her weapons. I also beleive you can teach your children your morals and bring them up correct, but when they leave your ‘nest’ and you have done everything you can, if they screw up on their own, a parent can no longer take responsibility for them.

• Chicken Strips says:

You really should put on your reading glasses.
            “We need to be able to teach our children more about God in the school systems”, the author wrote ACTUALLY.
            Nice try.

I believe that parents set the tone for how a child grows up. Teaching someone empathy and manners can go a long way. The only problem is in a good solid family of ten children, 9 of them can be wonderful self supporting, one marriage, good parents. and there can be a child in the family that always has problems, doesn’t adapt well, having difficulties with peers in school, etc. That difficult child received the same lessons growing up, but doesn’t conform with the family beliefs and morals.

• Chicken Strips says:

Exactly. Think of a naughty child from school days…was he raised by a wonderful family, or a cracked-out single mother and absent father? The latter. Parents need to be PARENTS! That way SCHOOLS don’t have to deal with these BRATS (and murderers!). Everyone is so entitled in this country! Sick!

• pev says:

Have you ever come across a story of a child growing up in a houshold with a “cracked out mother and an absent father” as you so stated, and watch that child grow and make something of their life, more bound and determined NOT to lead a life like their parents? And vice versa, a child given everything, loved, cared for, well dressed and now sitting in some prison some where. You said it best, they feel a sense of entitlement!

• Chicken Strips says:

I never said all children who grow up in such an environment will behave that way. More times than not (by far), the misbehaving child is from an unpleasant upbringing (courtesy of their parents).

• Tim says:

I continue to read your negativety regarding kids and parents. I have been dealing with kids for a long time, I have seen those from broken homes and “upscale” homes. For the most part kids are generally good. I have seen some who come from God fearing homes that a person would think they are going to be awesome kids, yet are meaner than snakes. Then I have seen some from homes where they don’t have a dime and mom and dad just want them out the door that are awesome. I think it is people like yourself that show such negativity in regards to the youth of today, that are either afraid of them, or just plain sick of young people. I feel if you treat a young person without respect, you will get no respect!! Show a more positive attitude toward our youth and you may be surprised what you get back!!

• Chicken Strips says:

I’m a teacher, Tim. That means I know how to interpret what people are saying. That means I know proper grammar. That means I know GOOD kids and kids who are raised miserably. If I’m against kids and I’m against parents, who am I for? What a silly mistake you made, Tim. When you get your college degree and your years of experience in the classroom, you can then try to tell me who I’m for and against.

• Doug says:

Chicken Strips, I would hate to be one of the kids in your class, that is predisposed to a negative future. It’s good to know that your degree and years in the classroom, make your thoughts and opinions impervious to fault.

4. willy Pedro says:

I think I better keep my mouth shut on this till I completly think how to word my feelings I dont think all messages are getting taken the way they were intended!

5. Rainbow says:

At the young age of 58,I remember when we had prayer in school, we had the right to celebrate Christmas and other religious holidays and we alway’s had programing on TV with morals. (Remember married couples had twin beds) well we have come a long way, but are we any better off, we have a lack of respect from parents to kids as well as kids to parents. How can things be better out of the home? Has anyone noticed latley how many parents, especially younger parents who tend more to their cell phone then their children, if it is this way in resturants and stores, think how it must be at home. I do believe that taking GOD out of all the things that families and kids do in public only can lead to what we have now- A society that is failing in all the important things in life. We have a society of thugs that no longer value a human life, we have no morals in many movies and tv programing. we have excuses why we need to be taken care of, when we need to stand up and take care of ourselves. We have a lazy society and kids learn from the parents.We have video games that glorify death. We have parents who deal with a childs misconduct with drugs to control them. I agree even the best of parents can stuggle to have their children thrive, when times are hard as a family, a person needs to love a whole lot more. Loving children isn’t easy when they have problems. Tough love many times hurts the parents more then the kids. Think about it, with all this mess in place how can we expect that Satan isn’t going to go in for the kill! We need to change for the better and believe in a power that is greater then Satan. Our life is but a blink of the eye in the whole scope of life. We need to put Christ back in our lives; it is like a water bottle lots of holes, many of the good drops slip through…. Change our lives to more of what our Savior intented and the water bottle will be full of water, less of Gods children will slip through.Even if a person doesn’t have faith,a person should realize right from wrong. We can change, we must change….

• Chicken Strips says:

You surely grew up in a different world than some of us today; consider yourself blessed.
      Who made the mistakes along the way? Who let things slide? Who got us to where we are today?
      Things don’t change just over night. Surely there were people throughout the past 58 years that could have been challenged—the kids today weren’t there in 1954!

• Brian says:

Chicken Strips
        Sounds to me like you shouldn’t be a teacher with all the negativeness you have towards kids. Just because you are a teacher,,if you actually are one,, doesn’t mean you know squat about raising children. Criticizing Tim about grammar, college degree,,etc.. you sound like a child,, not an adult “teacher” who of all people should be positive and encourging of all children. wow

• Hank Rearden says:

After reading the replies from Chicken Strip I am so thankful that I had great teachers like G. Henry Veldhuis, Alberto Montes and Claude Struve among many others when I attended high school. Back in my day they truely cared for and about their students, and did not brag about how their degree and mastery of the english language made them special.

• Chicken Strips says:

I wasn’t bragging–I was defending my position.
          Neither today’s youth nor I was around to vote the past 58 years—YOU were, sir. YOU are accountable for today’s politics and societal behaviors! You have no one to blame but yourself. You should have thrown a fit back in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, when we young people weren’t even BORN. Take some accountability, sir!
          Maybe the parents of yesteryear weren’t as good of examples as they thought they were?? I mean, with the high divorce rates, the lessening of the church’s influence, the giving of our employment to illegals, the government spending splurges, corporate greed, national welfare….

• Hank Reardon says:

I have been active on these issues since the ’80s, and for the most part so have most in this conservative corner of NW Iowa. The problem lies with the liberal portions of the country that have found, as we were warned by Franklin, that they may vote themselve largess from the public treasuries. They have grown fat, lazy and apethetic to their future along with that of their children, and expect the public school system to baby sit and coddle their children while they watch “Dancing with the Stars” and “Honey Boo Boo”.

I am still trying to figure out how a college degree and a mastery of the english language would help one defend a position. A position is defended with facts and persuasive arguments, not by waving a piece of parchment around while reciting flowery prose.

• Chicken Strips says:

Issues since the 80s, Hank? Where were you in the 50s, 60s, and 70s when the -real- changes to America were happening? Answer me this Hank—does your church denomination allow women in ministry???

• Hank Reardon says:

Chicken Strip, I’m 50 years old. I’ll let you do the math on where I was in the ’50s ’60s and ’70s.

• Hank Reardon says:

Chicken Strip, I’m not an organized religion kind of guy, and do not attend sevices at any church, so your attempt to paint my supposed affiliation with a backwards conservative woman hating he man denomination has failed. Why that would even matter in this discussion if I did belong to a church that you assume keeps women kept and in their place is beyond me. Nice attempt at deflection though.

• Chicken Strips says:

That’s why you’re not a teacher, Hanky. You can’t read people. Quite the opposite of my goal. I was going to ask whether your church had women leaders or not, as the Bible clearly says not to do so. But oh so many in NW IA (“so conservative”) DO. That’s all.

• Tim says:

I don’t normally do this, but I just need to:
            Well… “Chicken” Strips, So you have personally tried to attack at least four people, as far as I can tell, who give their opinions, and use facts they have found to back them up. You have even called some “liars”. You have what seems to me attacked the integrity of many of the young people in society, and their parents. If you were a teacher in my school district (which I hope you are not) and you have this kind of attitude toward other people and especially the youth of this world. If you display this same attitude as a “teacher”, I would have you dismissed. You seem to think you have knowledge of each and every persons political affiliation, religious affiliation, and even profess to know how much education each one of us has obtained, an dhow each of us should or should have raised our children. In MY opinion, you don’t know squat, about how to treat people young or old with respect. So why should you expect the respect in return. This forum is for those who wish to voice their opinion, with some sort of ability to back them up. Are we always correct, sometimes not, however, I personally have been corrected and have excepted that. Have you?
            One last thing I could not let slide, I do not have a “home” church or denomination affiliation, yet for you to say the Bible says women are not allowed in leadership positions, You need to start reading a different Bible, b/c I can start a very very long list of very prominent women in the Bible who were either used by God as leaders or in position of leadership by example. I don’t think you want to go there in NW Iowa.

• Hank Reardon says:

Such a clever girl.

Rainbow, I am 60 years old. I started school in Estherville, and I never heard a prayer in school. I think religion should be taught by the parents and their Church. I really believe in the separation of Church and State. In school, kids can pray all they wish, especially before a test. But they should not have any scheduled prayer or organized class where the teacher and/or kids prayers in a certain religion. That should be reserved for Christian and Catholic schools.

• Tim says:

Lee Ann:
        I am the same age as yourself, If I have this correct, it is not against the law for students or teachers to pray in public schools openly, it is against the law for the teachers to lead it. It is I beleive against the law for the school to sponsor prayer events. My concern is something I found while researching this issue. David Barton did a study on this issue, his study showed, America’s moral decline rapidly accelerated following one event – the U.S. Supreme Court’s removal of prayer from our nation’s schools. (http://www.whatyouknowmightnotbeso.com/graphs.html)
        Now I am not advocating a law to renew prayer in public schools, but the study and its conclusions are very very interesting. I beleive that if students today, want to they are allowed to get toegther as a group and have prayer. I have no problem with that.

The courts have decided that children can even get together before or after school, a private place like a classroom provided, and they can have Bible study if they wish, or pray and sing, if they wish. but it cannot be an organized scheduled class provided by the school, with an adult present.

I think that is a smart idea. Because the people that want more religion in their schools would object greatly if the religion taught was not a Christian religion. Imagine going to a school in Israel, they would never allow Christianity in schools. so I don’t want anybody deciding for me what to teach and what to believe. That’s why its good for a Christian school or a Parochial school, they are in agreement with the type of belief system.

• Tim says:

Hey Lee Ann we agree on something for the most part. :) A new Year! I think that you are correct that it would be very hard actually impossible for a school to pick a religion that would satisfy all the constituants. I went to a private school all the way to college. It was my parents choice and my choice. I have very mixed feeling about the public school system teaching evolution, I feel if they offer that then they are teaching a sort of religion. It is a BELIEF that the world evolved. No differeent than I believe God created the world. What I think they need to do instead of a class on evolution, (and I don’t know if they specifically do) is offer a class on religions of the world.
            We are very fortunate here in NW Iowa to have a huge majority of teachers in the public school systems that are personally Christian. I do think that our teachers portray their Christian values every day. When I say Christian, I don’t mean a specific denomination.
            The term “Christian” is also used adjectivally to describe anything associated with Christianity, or in a proverbial sense “all that is noble, and good, and Christ-like.” It is also used as a label to identify people who associate with the cultural aspects of Christianity, irrespective of personal religious beliefs or practices.

• Chicken Strips says:

First of all, America was founded on Christian principles and the Christian Bible was used in public settings including public schools. There is no wording of “separation of church and state” in the Constitution.

That being said, I agree with you. I don’t care to be indoctrinated with Muslim teachings, or whatever China requires when she comes calling.

If only the Republicans had been more concerned about these -real- issues instead of getting inside grown adults’ bedrooms, we might still be allowed to include the LORD in public schools! Your plan has backfired, Republicans! Now thumbs-down me!

Our founding fathers were not Christians. They were Deists. They believed in God, but couldn’t come to an agreement regarding Christianity, so they said that the Govt, shall make no national religion.

Tim, I have thought over the years that creation and evolution go together very well. Who is to say how long a day is to God? Who is it to say that he may have started the process in every one of us, and let it continue? The scientists have proven that science says that everything did start in the proper order as creation. I don’t see any difficulty in combining the two together.

• Chicken Strips says:

LeeAnn, what you said is absolutely incorrect. 100% of the Founding Fathers (the signers of the three main texts) were affiliated with a Christian denomination. 95% were said to be wholly Christian, and the rest perhaps “deist”. To say “Our founding fathers were not Christians” is a huge and gross error in the highest sense!

6. KIWA newa says:

Schools should be required to be armed for security!

• Tim says:

I would agree. Each and every so called “gun free zone” is a sitting duck. If a mad man wanted to, he could enter any school in the country. What better place, he knows nobody will or has the ability to stop him. Unless there is a trained person with a weapon to stop his insanity, it took 20 min before any law enforcement arrived at Sandy Hook. Take the signs down that say “gun free zone” and replace them with signs even larger and easier to read that say: “This Facility Is An Armed and Ready Facility” (or something to that effect). Then allow any teacher that has the training, and for sure every administrator, to carry with their CCW permits. Once we let these lunatics feel the rath of the people with the ability to defend themselves we will have a much better way to protect our children. Let every one know that when they are in that facility they WILL be protected.

• Hull says:

I agree with Tim, finally someone who has some sense when it comes to protecting our youth. Chicken Strip….I don’t even want to get started with my comments for you..My guess is you went to a private school in this area or you teach in one. I know some really fantastic women in the ministry, guess what God has blessed them with spreading his gospel, and if you don’t believe that go listen to them speak.

7. frankie V says:

Ever wonder why guns in school triggers less negative emotion from the general U.S. population than religion in schools. Maybe if we reversed this tendancy we would have fewer of these gun incidents. NW Iowa is truely blessed to have the very very strong religious base of belief in it’s general population–no matter what religion you support.

Here, here!
      REAL issues have gone by the wayside the past 30 years!
      That’s OK; we young folks will live with the consequences…

8. Tim says:

Lee Ann:
    For some reason I could not respond to your op-ed regarding evolution and creationism, so I will try here. I beleive that nothing in our universe just “evolved”, everything had a plan by our Lord. I respect your opinion on not knowing how long it took to create the universe. In fact i would agree. I knew a man who I had the most respect for of any one I knew, (my father). He and I had several debates on this very subject. He actually did surprise me with his opinion b/c he was perhaps the most conservative Christian I have ever known. He explained to me that in Gods times, what is a thousand ‘human’ days, easily could have been ten thousand in Gods eyes. So time means nothing to God. We also discussed beliefs that God created our universe with “age”. Did God create our universe to look like it evolved? He could very easily have done that. It really boils down to what you call faith. Something like..this analogy: I have never been to the moon, but the tell me we cannot breath the air…do I believe that? I also was not there when Christ was crucified, but thru my faith, I beleive He was.
    I also believe that there are UFO’s. But my Idea af what is a UFO would probably shock you. But that is a way off topic. Perhaps I need to address that sometime. LOL