Trucks Running Red Lights

Date posted - March 18, 2014

I am astounded at the number of trucks I have witnessed running the red light at Washington Ave and Park Street.

They don’t even slow down! I have become extremely cautious venturing into the intersection as I have almost been struck by one of these trucks on my way to work. This intersection has already had several accidents and I’m afraid it is just a matter of time before someone is seriously injured or killed by one of these trucks running a red light.

Concerned Driver

22 Responses to “Trucks Running Red Lights”

1. TM says:

Lets put up some red light cameras. That should cut down on the problue pritty fast. Hit people in there pocket book and the notice real quick

• B_Mom says:

I wonder about the length of time the light stays yellow at that corner. I’ve noticed it as well that many people go through the Washington/Hwy 18 stoplight on red. But it also seems that it changes rather quickly. When large vehicles are moving at a certain speed, it takes a certain length of space and amount of time to stop safely. All of those factors have to be figured to decide how quickly a light goes from green to red. Would be nice to check the difference between the 3 stoplights on Hwy 18 in town. The others don’t seem to turn so quickly.

• driver says:

I love how people are so quick to point fingers at the trucks and completely disregard all the cars running the same light and half the other stop signs in town. I think the issue needs to be addressed to everyone, not just segregated to the trucking industry.

• Concerned Driver says:

I agree, however, a semi hitting a car at that speed and a car hitting another car are two different things. I agree the driving in Sheldon has gone down hill, I see several vehicles running red lights and stop signs. Dangerous habit to get in to.

• B_Mom says:

The sight of a truck pushing thru on yellow/red lights definitely catches many peoples attention, probably more than other smaller vehicles. But yes, it is NOT only trucks doing this. I have seen many 4-wheelers do the same thing. I really think the key would be a longer yellow and maybe a flashing yellow as you come up to the stop light that warns when it is about to change. This would allow all vehicles to slow and be able to stop safely.

2. taximan says:

I have time that particular stop light. When the light turns green for the north/south street, which is Washington. That light stays green for only 20 to 25 seconds. The yellow light on the highway is fast I’ll admit, but if you drive you should be paying attention to these lights. Especially if you drive down 18 regularly.

That said, I do believe that these light should be time better. Anyone ever sat forever at the next light at the high school/ Village NW intersection waiting to get onto the highway or Heaven forbid turn left/ that wait is far too long.

3. driver02 says:

Trucks are not the only issue. While working, I stopped for the light facing west and noticed a vehicle to my left speeding to the intersection, obviously not paying attention. There was an elderly woman in the intersection walking north to Caseys. I was eyeing both, scared to honk my horn because I didn’t want to frighten the woman, but didn’t want the car to hit her. The car finally noticed the light and slammed on its brakes. The distance between the car and pedestrian was literally 2 inches.
    The amount of traffic on that stretch and business of the intersection should have a speed limit of 30. Yes, it is a highway, but your other answer is to bypass the highway just like they did with 60. With more businesses popping up and the schools being located in the same section of town the traffic has moved, therefore the road rules need to change.
    Also, I think we all know that the direction of the sun causes the inability to see the color of the light at times. Most of us choose to slow for safety, others like to chance it.
    Another possibility is to put up a warning signal that blinks yellow when the light is about to change warning drivers to stop.

4. Rebecca Johnson says:

I just the other day was behind a semi on 18 heading west, I ended up running the red light because I could not see the stop light due to the height of semi. Oh my I was very alerted and Thankful I did not cause an accident!

5. Clover says:

While most professional truck drivers, including my father and father in law, were very careful, it seems that more and more drivers of cars and trucks do not understand what a STOP sign is. I know it is difficult to come to a complete stop and restart especially when loaded, and rolling through a stop sign sometimes happens. The ones that bother me do it when others vehicles are coming and the only choice you have is either hit the brakes or hit the truck. It is becoming a very big problem at the Casey’s corner in Hull also.

6. Jill C. says:

I am concerned about vehicles running that light, too. I am only a couple of blocks north of that intersection and I have had many, many conversations with my kids about not crossing the highway without me, ever. I see cars and big trucks run through that light all the time. I would love to see a traffic camera placed at that intersection. You would think the ticket revenue it would generate would more than make up for the cost of the camera.

7. Pastafarian says:

I’m more careful when I see a semi approaching the red light because of the principal of inertia. Sir Isaac Newton explained it well as “an object in motion tends to stay in motion.” Semis are pretty heavy themselves, but with a loaded trailer adding thousands of pounds of mass, it would be impossible to stop on a dime.
    I have my own rule: Big, heavy truck with heavy trailer and going 35-40mph gets the right away.

8. Truck Driver's Daughter says:

Having been around trucking for a good part of my life, I have gained knowledge that there is a pretty big difference between driving a car and driving truck with a full load. While yes, there may be a lot of trucks running the red light, its the length of the yellow light that makes the difference. A loaded truck going speed limit or even under requires a lot more distance to stop than say a car or pick up truck without a trailer. When coming from the east to that particular light, it can change to yellow as I’m going past the Caseys driveway and have to hit my brakes pretty good in order to get my crossover to stop in time. As a loaded truck, yes they will speed up to make it through the light because its impossible for them to stop that quickly even without a load. Before pointing fingers, maybe you should have a little more info to contributing factors. As others have said, plenty of cars, vans and pick ups also run that light.

9. virgil says:

I was passing thru Sheldon last evening and paid close attention to the stop light on hwy18 and Washington ave. I was doing the speed limit when light turned yellow I had to get on brakes hard to get stopped in time. It is very easy to see why trucks can’t get stopped when light turns yellow after they are trying to stop 96,000 lbs not 7,000 lbs that a pickup weighs. p.s. don’t give me any static about the trucks have air brakes

• Fisherman says:

I think that the city has requested another study to be done. This has to be done in order for the state to change anything on the highway, city has no say in anything to changes on the road.

10. jj says:

Maybe the Sheldon PD. should sit there and watch I go by that corner around midnight on my way home from work. I have seen many cars run that light not just the trucks and how about the 4way on 18 & 60 I have seen many cars run that without slowing down

11. driver02 says:

For goodness sake, quit paying for studies and just lengthen the amount of time on the yellow light or reduce the speed limit. It’s just not that difficult people.