Wood or Steel Frame Building?

Date posted - April 11, 2014

Is a wood frame building better or a steel frame building better? They both will be destroyed in a tornado. Steel will rust and wood will rot if they get wet. Both can withstand high winds and snowloads. Steel frame buildings are more expensive. Wood frame buildings you can buy your material from our local lumberyard and support the town. I think I would want a wood frame building instead of a steel frame building. What do you guys think ?

7 Responses to “Wood or Steel Frame Building?”

1. Todd says:

All things considered, I’d always go with wood.

I used to live in Oklahoma (for six months of horrible weather, lol). Most of the neighbors around me had homes and garages built with steel frames and block and brick. According to them, steel frame with block and brick can only be destroyed by an F5 tornado. So they were very careful, and school districts and businesses, to have steel frame and brick. I have a basement and I think in bad weather a basement is more important than what the building is made with.

3. Tony Lipp says:

if you buy a Reaves Bld they can withstand winds up to 250 MPH because of the design they hav thier own Patent on these Blds located in Sioux Falls

4. Biker says:

Build a concrete silo, multiple levels, spiral staircase, great view, elevator shaft down the middle. Go tour the local coop, or silos out in Kansas. There still standing despite tornado’s. Good luck with your decision.

5. me says:

What about when it starts on fire?

6. myself says:

The steel frame will weaken from the heat of the fire and will have to be replaced.