Lights and Sirens

Pot-Belly Pigs Perish In Sibley Blaze

Sibley, Iowa — Sibley firefighters were called out Friday evening to the report of a house fire in southern Sibley, but that call was corrected to being a fire in a small shed north of Jeddeloh Ford.

Sibley Fire Chief Ken Huls says when firefighters arrived the shed was completely engulfed in flames. Once the fire was extinguished, Huls says firefighters discovered that the shed had housed several small pot-bellied pigs, all of which died in the fire.

Chief Huls says there had been a heat lamp in the building to keep the animals warm and it appeared that it had fallen into hay, igniting the blaze.

Ashton Firefighters were initially paged to provide mutual aid, but that page was cancelled a short time later.

Huls says 11 firefighters responded to the call, and he reports no injuries, nor any structure damage, other than to the shed housing the pigs.

The Sibley Fire Department was assisted at the scene by the Osceola County Sheriff’s Office and the Osceola County Ambulance.

Photo courtesy of the Sibley Fire Department

Previous ArticleNext Article