Ireton Fire Chief Richard Steckelberg says the call went out about 5:42 AM on Tuesday morning, January 7th, to a rental property owned by Duane Bonnema at 409 Main Street in Ireton. The chief says that they have an agreement with the Hawarden Fire Department that they both get paged to structure fires in Ireton — a concept called “auto aid” in Sioux County.
Steckelberg says the fire departments arrived to find flames in the attic of the home. He says they were lucky that the fire was starving for oxygen when they got there. He says they were able to put out the fire with minimal water, but they did have to tear down the ceiling in that room and tear a hole in the roof for ventilation. He says the damage was limited to one room. The chief reports that the tenants are not able to live in the home at this time, but it shouldn’t take too much to repair the damage.
Steckelberg says there were no injuries reported.
He says fire crews were on scene for about an hour and a half.