Tense Moments Saturday When VNU Building Fills With Smoke

Sheldon, Iowa — There were some tense moments early Saturday evening (December 23rd) when Sheldon firefighters responded to an alarm at a building on the Village Northwest Unlimited campus in Sheldon.

The call went out shortly before 5:00 pm Saturday, and Assistant Fire Chief Randy Harms tells KIWA that when fire crews arrived on scene they found the building at 334 Village Circle filled with  smoke. Harms says all the occupants of the building were relocated, and the fire department began searching for the source of the smoke.

Harms says the smoke was traced back to a plastic container that had been placed in an oven in the structure. Firefighters removed the smoke from the structure with positive pressure fans, and reset the alarm system before returning to the station around 5:30 pm.



Local News