Hartley House Damaged In Early Sunday Fire

stock file photo

Hartley, Iowa — A house was damaged in a fire early on Sunday, January 21, 2024, near Hartley.

According to Hartley Fire Chief Brad Meendering, at about 2:20 a.m., the Hartley Fire Department was called to the report of a chimney fire at 6550 320th Street, about a quarter mile west of Hartley on Highway 18.

The chief says the fire department saw the chimney and the side of the house on fire as they approached the scene. He says they used an exterior and then an interior attack to fight the fire.

Meendering says no injuries were reported.

The fire department was assisted by the Sanborn Fire Department and the Sheldon Fire Company provided their aerial truck.

He says the cause of the fire appeared to be a fire in the chimney above a fireplace that was in use. He says it was probably caused by a buildup of creosote.

Chief Meendering reports that there was moderate smoke and water damage to half the house.

He says the firefighters who responded were on the scene for about four hours.


Local News