Rock Rapids, Iowa — Lyon County is going to be getting some free help with several projects from college students at Iowa State University.
Lyon County Economic Development Director Steve Simons tells us more.
He says 27 senior and graduate students from ISU are taking part. The first phase of the class is for them to travel to Lyon County and visit with residents, business people and tour the area, says Simons.
They will view several attractions in the county including Gitchie Manitou, Blood Run, Lake Pahoja, the Depot Museum, Island Park, Rapid Speedway, Murals, Rapids Theatre, Locker Park, and several more.
Simons says the next steps will be a video conference on February 27 with their ideas for stakeholders to view and give feedback. A video conference mid-design review will be held the week of March 30. The students will return April 27 for final presentations.
Simons says Lyon County will be the focus of their work Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons for the entire semester.
Simons says that he’s looking forward to working with the students.
Simons invites everyone to the stakeholder sessions, Sunday evening at 6:30 PM at Grand Falls Casino & Golf Resort, Monday morning at 10 AM at Forster Community Center in Rock Rapids, and Monday afternoon at 1:30 PM at the George Community Center.
Sunday, January 25
- 1 PM Arrive and check in at Grand Falls
- 1:45 PM Bus trip to Gitchie Manitou, Blood Run, Lake Pahoja Recreation Area, Calico Skies Vineyard and Winery, Inwood (downtown, pool and park), West Lyon and Larchwood (downtown, park, golf). Return to hotel at 5 p.m.
- 5:30 PM Dinner for students
- 6:30-8:00 Stakeholder session 1 (LCED and others in meeting room/refreshments/cookies)
Monday, January 26
- 7 PM Check out and Breakfast at Grand Falls
- 8-10:00 AM Bus to Rock Rapids – drive through Lester (Gerber Strawberries) on the way and tour Rock Rapids (downtown, LCHS Museum, Island Park, Raceway and Fairgrounds, country club, Central Lyon, Courthouse, Murals, pool, Kids Club, Rapids Theater, etc.
- 10:00-11:30 Stakeholder session 2 at Forster Community Center
- 11:30-12:30 Lunch at Pizza Ranch Rock Rapids
- 12:30 PM Bus trip to George and tour George – Locker Park, downtown,trail, pool, campground, GLR School.
- 1:30-3:30 PM Stakeholder session 3 at George Community Center
- 4:00 PM Depart for ISU (box lunches Pizza Ranch)
If your browser or device cannot access the audio players above, here are the direct links to the audio sound bytes: