A Hawarden man has been sentenced to ten years in prison after he pled guilty to a drug offense.
Sioux County Attorney Coleman McAllister says that 42-year-old Samuel Scott Skogman of Hawarden was sentenced for the crime of Delivery of Methamphetamine, a Class C Felony.
On May 7, 2011, McAllister says Skogman delivered crystal methamphetamine to an undercover informant being utilized by the Hawarden Police Department and the Sioux County Sheriffs Department. Crystal methamphetamine, or ice as it is more commonly known, is a crystalline form of methamphetamine which is purer and more highly potent than powdered methamphetamine. Working together, law enforcement agents from both departments monitored the drug transaction and conducted an investigation. As a result of the investigation, charges were ultimately filed and an arrest warrant was issued for Skogmans arrest. Skogman was arrested on the outstanding arrest warrant on January 9, 2012. Skogman pled guilty to Delivery of Methamphetamine in District Court on February 27, 2012.
Skogman was sentenced to ten years in prison. He must serve a mandatory minimum sentence of one-third (3-1/3 years) before he is eligible for parole. Skogmans privileges to operate a motor vehicle will be revoked for 180 days and he must undergo a substance abuse evaluation and follow any recommended treatment while in prison.
A lifesaving device is now available in Sheldon schools.
Called an AED or automated external defibrillator, it’s a portable electronic device that automatically diagnoses potentially life-threatening cardiac arrhythmias in a patient, and is able to treat them through defibrillation. That’s the application of electrical therapy which stops the arrhythmia, allowing the heart to reestablish an effective rhythm.
Matt Meendering, high school principal, and head of the Sheldon Community Schools safety committee says they can be used by almost anyone to help a student, staff member, parent, or anyone else at the school who might be experiencing an abnormal heart rhythm.
Meendering says the idea to get the AED’s came during safety meetings.
Mr. Meedering says that if they need to be used, they are very easy to use.
He says it doesn’t administer the shock unless it detects a heart rhythm that indicates the electrical therapy is needed. He says Cindy Freeman emphasized that CPR is always tried first before the AED is used.
If you would like more information or training on CPR or how to use an AED or other life saving steps, you can contact any SCAT Member.
A Hull man is in trouble with the law after he allgedly followed some snowmobilers off of his property and waved a gun around in a threatening manner.
The Sioux County Sheriff’s Office reports that on Saturday evening (2/25), they investigated an incident that occurred at 3:45 p.m. that same day at the intersection of Division Street and Highway 18 in Hull.
During the investigation, deputies found that 43-year-old Darwin Te Slaa of Hull had allegedly pursued six people operating snowmobiles that had allegedly driven across his property. Te Slaa then confronted the snowmobilers at the intersection of Division Street and Highway 18 in Hull and displayed a handgun in a threatening manner toward them.
No injuries were reported, but Te Slaa was arrested for aggravated assault and carrying weapons, aggravated misdemeanors and harassment, 2nd degree, a serious misdemeanor.
Sheldon residents will have another opportunity Monday, February 27th to hear more about plans for Sheldon’s new park on the east side of the city.
The meeting will begin at 6 p.m. in the upper level of the Sheldon Community Services Center. This will be the final presentation of the plans developed my Mike Bell. The public is invited and urged to attend.
A Rock Valley man was injured in an explosion at a hog confinement near Rock Valley on Saturday (25/25).
The Sioux County Communications Center reports that about 9:45 AM, they received a report of a hog confinement on fire at 2164 350th Street, six miles southwest of Rock Valley.
Fifty-one-year-old Lyle Ranschau of Rock Valley, was reported to have been power-washing an empty hog building owned by Les Ranschau of Rock Valley, when an explosion took place inside the building.
Ranschau was injured from the explosion and was transported by the Rock Valley Ambulance to Hegg Memorial Hospital in Rock Valley; he was later air lifted to McKennan Hospital in Sioux Falls for treatment of his injuries.
The explosion caused about $40,000 in damages, mainly to the interior of the building.
The Rock Valley Fire Chief has contacted the Iowa State Fire Marshal to determine the cause of the explosion.
The Rock Valley Fire Department, Rock Valley Ambulance, Hudson Fire Department and the Sioux County Sheriff’s Office responded to the scene.