Spencer, Iowa — Spencer Fire Department officials say youths shooting off fireworks did more than $20,000 damage to the playground at a Spencer grade school earlier this week.
Spencer firefighters say they were dispatched for a fire in the playground area at Fairview School in northeast Spencer early Sunday morning.
Spencer Assistant Fire Chief Mark Stover says that, upon arrival firefighters found the rubberized playground media and some playground equipment on fire. Firefighters deployed a hand line to extinguish the fire using 1,400 gallons of water and 3 gallons of foam.
Stover says fireworks were found to be the cause of the fire and damage is estimated at $20,500. The fire is still under investigation.
Ironically the use of 1st Class Consumer Fireworks in Spencer is prohibited. Stover says violation of that ordinance can cost you dearly. When you include court costs and surcharge, a conviction of violating the City ordinance will cost a minimum of $397.50.