Orange City, Iowa– A house was damaged in a fire on Friday, July 6, 2018, in Orange City.
According to Orange City Fire Chief Denny Vander Wel, about 7:05 p.m., the Orange City Fire Department was called to the report of a structure fire at 410 Boston Avenue Northeast in Orange City.
The chief says they did find a working fire inside the home, which was filled with smoke when they got there. He says there was a fire in the kitchen wall. After they extinguished the fire they needed to do some overhaul work and ventilate the home.
Vander Wel says no injuries were reported.
The fire department was assisted by the Alton Fire Department. He says he initially called for the Sioux Center Fire Department’s Rapid Intervention Team but called them off when he knew they had a handle on it.
He says they believe the cause of the fire was an unattended candle.
Chief Vander Wel reports that there was moderate damage throughout the home.
He says they only used water extinguishers to fight the fire, and the approximately 26 firefighters who responded were on scene for about an hour and a half.