100 Cornstalk Bales Go Up In Flame
Date posted - June 27, 2016
Rock Valley, Iowa– About a hundred round cornstalk bales were destroyed in a fire on Friday, June 24, 2016 near Rock Valley.
According to Rock Valley Fire Chief Brent Eshuis, about 12:38 PM, the Rock Valley Fire Department was called to the report of a round bale fire on Danny Claussen’s place at 2831 Coolidge Avenue, five miles west and two and a half miles north of Rock Valley.
The chief says the fire department saw many round cornstalk bales on fire as they approached the scene. He says they used payloaders to break up the burning bales and extinguished them. He says the fire department cooled the payloaders with water so they wouldn’t start on fire while fighting the fire.
Eshuis says no injuries were reported
The fire department was assisted by the Inwood Fire Department, who brought in more water.
He says the cause of the fire appeared to be a spark from a burning pile, but no official cause has been found.
Chief Eshuis reports that about 100 cornstalk bales were lost.
He says they used six to seven thousand gallons of water to fight the fire, and crews were on scene for about two and a half hours.