Hog Barn Destroyed In Fire

Date posted - October 7, 2015

Sanborn, Iowa — A hog barn was destroyed in a fire on Tuesday, October 6, 2015 near Sanborn.
Sanborn FD
According to Sanborn Fire Chief Randy Lyman, about 2:15 PM, the Sanborn Fire Department was called to the report of a hog barn fire on property owned by Mark Uittenbogaard at 5320 300th Street. That’s a little over four miles northeast of Sheldon or about four and a half northwest of Sanborn.

The chief says the fire department saw one of two buildings fully engulfed as they approached the scene. He says they used water and foam to fight the fire.

Lyman reports that there were no injuries to people, pets, or livestock. He says the building had been emptied of hogs a few days before, so there were no hogs in the building.

The fire department was assisted by Sheldon Fire Company and Archer Fire Department. He says the Archer department heard the page and asked if they could be of assistance.

He says Uittenbogaard told him he had been welding a gate, and the fire appeared to have started in that area, so he thinks that may have been the cause of the blaze.

Chief Lyman reports that damage was estimated at $110,000. He says firefighters were able to save the second hog building.

He says they used 8000 gallons of water and 10 gallons of foam concentrate to fight the fire, and the 30 firefighters that responded to the call were on scene for about two hours.

Print Friendly

Comments are closed.