Primghar Firefighters Save Corn Crib

Date posted - August 3, 2015

Primghar, Iowa — Primghar firefighters were able to save a corn crib from burning down on Sunday, August 2, 2015 near Primghar.
FD fire lightbar
According to Primghar Fire Chief Gary Lansink, about 6:15 PM, the Primghar Fire Department was called to the report of corn crib fire at 5988 400th Street, a mile south and three-quarters of a mile east of Primghar.

The chief says the fire department saw the shingles on the corn crib’s roof were on fire as they approached the scene. He says they used water to fight the fire.

Lansink says that there were no reports of injuries.

He says the cause of the fire appeared to be sparks from a nearby tree pile fire. He says those who were there thought that the sparks, smoke and heat would go straight up because there was no wind, but the shingles caught flame anyway.

Chief Lansink reports that only the roof was damaged, and they were able to save the rest of the building.

He says they used 2000 gallons of water to fight the fire, and crews were on scene roughly an hour.

Print Friendly

Leave a Reply

Sheldon Broadcasting Company, Inc. appreciates your comments that abide by the following guidelines:
1. Avoid profanities or foul language.
2. Disagree, but avoid ad hominem (personal) attacks.
3. Threats are treated seriously and will be reported to law enforcement.
4. Spam and advertising are not permitted in the comments area.
These guidelines are very general and cannot cover every possible situation. Please don't assume that Sheldon Broadcasting Company, Inc. or its advertisers agrees with or otherwise endorses any particular comment. We reserve the right to filter or delete comments or to deny posting privileges entirely at our discretion. Please note that comments are reviewed by the selected staff and may not be posted immediately. If you feel your comment was filtered inappropriately, please email

Back to:Primghar Firefighters Save Corn Crib