Iowa City, Iowa — Northwest Iowa Hawkeye fans heading for the University of Iowa’s final home football game of the season this Saturday will want to come early and be prepared for a more extensive screening to get into Kinnick Stadium, after an announcement by U of I officials of tighter security measures for Saturday’s Hawkeye football game in Iowa City.
In order to make the last home game of the Iowa Football season as safe as possible, the University of Iowa has adjusted its security measures at Kinnick Stadium for the Iowa-Purdue football game on Saturday, November 21, according to a press release from the university.
The UI Athletics Department and UI Police ask that fans arrive early, and come to the game prepared for a more extensive screening process modeled after the National Football League — which places restrictions on purses and handbags.
They say the new clear-bag policy is not tied to any specific threat but reflects modifications being made at other venues in light of recent international events. Fans should expect to see an increased police and security presence before, during, and after the game.
University of Iowa Interim Assistant Vice President and Director of Public Safety Dave Visin says they ask everyone for their assistance in making the last home game of the season as safe as possible for their visitors. He says, “If you see something, say something.”
A bag check area will be available at the Recreation Building northwest of Kinnick Stadium for fans who need a place to store their items during the game. The bag check-in will open at 9 a.m. and close one hour after the game. Gates will open at 9:30 a.m. in order to allow fans to reach their seats by kick off.
The following will be permitted:
• Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl, or PVC and do not exceed 14” X 14”
• One-gallon clear plastic bag (Ziploc or similar)
• Small clutch bags, with or without a handle or strap, that do not exceed 4.5” X 6.5”
• Patrons with infants will be permitted to bring diaper bags
• Binoculars, blankets, seat cushions, one sealed plastic water bottle, food contained in a one-gallon clear plastic bag
*Exceptions will be made for medically necessary items after proper inspection at the gates
Prohibited items include, but are not limited to:
• Alcohol, coolers, kegs, camel backs, thermoses, canned or bottled beverages
• Backpacks, purses and handbags
• Banners and signs
• Large lens (6 inches or more) cameras and tripods
• Noisemakers, horns, bugles or other disruptive devices
• Personal seat backs
• Tobacco of any kind
Saturday’s game is the last game of the regular season for Iowa’s undefeated Hawkeye football team.