Assistant Chief: Hay Bale Fire In Building Near Ashton Could Have Been Much Worse

Ashton, Iowa — Some hay bales in a shed were destroyed in a fire on Saturday, January 14, 2023, near Ashton.

According to Ashton Fire Assistant Chief Dave Otis, at about 12:55 p.m., the Ashton Fire Department was called to the report of a shed fire at 5379 220th Street, three miles east and a mile north of Ashton.

The chief says the fire department saw smoke coming out of the door as they approached the scene. He says they found that the building was not on fire, but hay bales inside the building were on fire. He tells us they pulled the bales outside with a rake and a skid loader and pulled them apart to extinguish the fire. Otis says it was a good thing the fire was caught and firefighters were called when they were, as the hay was against the wooden wall of the building.

Assistant Chief Otis says no injuries were reported.

The fire department was assisted by the Sibley Fire Department.

Otis says the owner told him they found the wiring from a heat lamp malfunctioned, causing the fire.

Assistant Chief Otis reports that the damage was limited to the bales.

He says the firefighters who responded were on the scene for about 45 minutes.


Local News