Occupants Of Sibley Home Homeless After Fire

Sibley, Iowa — The occupants of a Sibley home are homeless after a fire on Saturday, May 25, 2024, in Sibley.     

According to Sibley Fire Chief Ken Huls, at about 4:20 p.m., the Sibley Fire Department was called to the report of a house on fire at  525 4th Avenue in Sibley.

The chief says the fire department saw flames extending out of the southwest entrance door as they approached the scene. He says a neighbor had called in the report, saying they could see smoke coming from the house. He tells us firefighters made an interior attack and knocked down the fire, but it was too late, as the house was gutted by the fire.

Huls says one firefighter was taken to Osceola Community Hospital in Sibley with chest pains and exhaustion. Huls tells us four dogs and several cats were also lost in the blaze.

Firefighters from the Ashton, Little Rock, and Ocheyedan fire departments provided mutual aid assistance.

He says the cause of the fire appeared to be a surge protector in the kitchen.         

Chief Huls reports that while the home doesn’t show too many exterior signs of damage, the interior is totaled, to the tune of around $150,000, he estimates.  He says the occupants had only been gone for about an hour and a half.

He says the 30 firefighters who responded were on the scene for about two hours.     

Huls tells us the American Red Cross was contacted to help the family, who lost all their belongings in the fire.

Donations to help the family can be left with the Sibley United Methodist Church. Monetary or grocery donations may be left at Sibley SuperFoods. At last report, they were also looking into having a GoFundMe page set up. If that happens, you’ll be able to look for “Chris Runge fire.”

Share:

NCC Poised For Record Enrollment

Sheldon, Iowa — Officials from Northwest Iowa Community College (NCC) tell us the college is poised to achieve a historic enrollment