Spark From Fireplace Gets Blame For Small Fire In Sheldon

Sheldon, Iowa — The Sheldon Fire Company was called out for a call that could have been a lot worse on Thursday evening, December 14, 2023, in Sheldon.

According to Sheldon Fire Chief Brad Hindt, at about 10:30 p.m., the Sheldon Fire Company was called to the report of a fire in a room at 1708 East 9th Street in Sheldon.

The chief says when firefighters arrived, the fire was already out and the occupants were ventilating the home. He says it was a fireplace issue, and believes that a spark popped out of the fireplace and started the carpet in front of it on fire.

Hindt says no injuries were reported. He says the firefighters made sure there were no hot spots before they left.

Chief Hindt reports that there was minor damage, which was mainly smoke damage.

He says the firefighters who responded were on the scene for about a half an hour.