Unattended Candle Blamed For Weekend House Fire In Sanborn

Sanborn, Iowa — A candle left burning in a bedroom gets the blame for a weekend fire in Sanborn.

According to Sanborn Fire Chief Randy Lyman, at about 9:20 p.m. on Saturday evening, April 20, 2024, the Sanborn Fire Department was called to the report of a room on fire at 608 West 3rd Street in Sanborn.

The chief says the fire department saw fire coming out of a second-floor window as they approached the scene. He says everyone was able to get out of the house, and firefighters put out the fire with water fire extinguishers. He says they then ventilated the house, performed overhaul and then boarded up the window.

Lyman says no injuries were reported.

Chief Lyman reports that the upstairs bedroom where the fire occurred is uninhabitable. He says all bedrooms in the house are on the second floor, but the other rooms had closed doors, which helped to limit the damage. But the hallway did get quite a bit of heat and smoke damage.

He says the firefighters who responded were on the scene for about an hour and a half.


Local News