Inwood, Iowa — A hog barn was damaged in a fire on Monday, August 21, 2023, near Inwood.
According to Inwood Fire Chief Troy Van Beek, at about 7:40 p.m., the Inwood Fire Department was called to the report of a hog barn fire at 2119 Cherry Avenue, three miles north of Inwood on the blacktop.
The chief says the fire department saw smoke from the roofline as they approached the scene. He says they used an internal attack to fight the fire. He says the fire was in a hall connecting three structures.
Van Beek says one firefighter was taken to a hospital due to heat exhaustion and one pig died in the fire.
The fire department was assisted by the Larchwood Fire Department and the Alvord firefighters stood by for manpower, due to the excessive heat.
He says the cause of the fire appeared to be a faulty electrical component.
Chief Van Beek reports that there was minor to moderate damage.
He says the firefighters who responded were on the scene for about three hours.