Lights and Sirens

Hawarden Firefighters Put Out Chimney Fire

Hawarden, Iowa — The Hawarden Fire Department was called out on Tuesday, February 25, 2020, for the report of a chimney fire in Hawarden.

According to Hawarden Fire Chief Duane Schiefen, the call came in about 11:45 a.m.. The chimney fire was said to be at 702 Avenue B in Hawarden.

The chief says it was put out through a chimney sweep. Schiefen says no injuries were reported.

He says the cause of the fire is believed to be creosote buildup.

Chief Schiefen reports that there was no damage.

He says the 25-30 firefighters from both Hawarden and Ireton who responded were on the scene an hour.

The National Fire Protection Association says that a leading factor contributing to home heating fires is creosote buildup from solid-fueled heating equipment, primarily chimneys. Creosote is a natural byproduct of woodburning. They recommend that you have a qualified professional clean and inspect your chimney and vents every year.

Previous ArticleNext Article