Sheldon, Iowa — The Sheldon Fire Company was called to the report of a kitchen fire at a rural residence early Wednesday evening.
Sheldon Assistant Fire Chief Brad Hindt tells KIWA that the department was paged shortly before 5:40 Wednesday evening for a kitchen fire at 4560 280th Street, which is located between Ritter and Matlock on 280th Street.
Hindt says the home’s resident was able to put the fire out with an extinguisher before the fire department arrived. Once on the scene, Sheldon firefighters ventilated the home to remove the smoke caused by the fire, and to check for hot spots.
He says there was some minor damage to the range, microwave and cabinets, and smoke in the kitchen.
Sheldon firefighters were on scene for just over an hour.